17965 - Audi A3 Tdi??

Deleted member 10725

Bustermagic said:
Well car went to stealers yesterday but they could not find the problem with my error code 17965 and suggested a new n75 valve. I told them that I had already replaced this and they said that they would need the car for at least two days to see if they could find the fault. I therefore decided to use the air inlet spray cleaner to see if that would fix the problem, well.......

Used a product called POWERBOOST which is similar to 10k Boost. All I can say is WOW! Took 20 minutes to use and the outcome is brilliant and well worth spending £27. It has also fixed my 17965 positive pressure deviation problem and smoothed out the rough idle problem I had, so a big thanks to Basstard for suggesting this one and saving me loads of money!! :thumbup:

I have searched for powerboost on the web but results had nothing to do with cleaning...

Can you show me a link to that product ?

My car doesnt enter in limp mode but it doesnt pulls like it used to....(Maf and turbo revised)

Deleted member 10725

Ive seen some threads about this , but does it work, i had my turbo rebuild because of carbon, so this could help.

Bustermagic

Powerboost definitely worked although I had to use one and a half can due to the amount of carbon build up, costs around £27 per can in the UK.

http://www.ecotekplc.com/power_boost.htm

I seem to have had sticky vanes within the turbo that caused the pressure and limp mode problems above 3k rpm in 4th gear. Also the turbo did not spool up for the first minute after starting from cold. All OK now :D

matlock

Pwerboost

Hi, I've just purchaced myslef a can of Powerboost as I have similar limp mode problems and think it might be sticking vanes in turbo.
Any advice on exactly where / how to spray it? Sounds like it needs to go after the maf, but if I entirely disconect the pipe after the maf to spray in there I'm not sure the engine will run ok as no air will be flowing through maf.
Any help appreaciated.
Thanks

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
you don't have to disconnect the whole air duct, just loose it a little so that you can fit the straw that comes with the can inside. 99% of air will still be flowin thru the MAF.

Also you'll need someone in the car to rev the engine at 2000 rpm so that the turbo is doin its job. This is not optional. Don't spray if the engine is not at around 2000 rpm. The engine will rev higher when you spray, it's ok. Spray for 3-5 seconds at a time, then stop, when the revs go back to 2000 start sprayin again for 3-5 secs and so on. Easier to do than to explain really.

On a side note, lately I blew my turbo so I had it rebuilt. After I sprayed the cleaner I disabled the EGR via vag com and when the mechanic took off the turbo last month, the intake manifold was badly full of crap so of these two it gotta be one: either the spray does nothing or closing the egr via vag com don't work [or, 3, I'm **** with vag com but I'm pretty confident in my computer skills,,,]

matlock

Great - thanks for the advice. :)
I'm current 50-50 about whether to use the spray... a couple of days of ragging the car around to diagnose the problem seems to have cured it! I think I'll at least wait till it pops up again and I can tell if its done any good.

cheers again

matlock

Nudging an old thread incase anyone is interested. I did use the powerboost in the end, after the car had deteriorated to the point where it would go into limp mode at some point on every journey.
It worked pretty well! better than I had expected. Since then (months ago) i HAVE gone into limp mode a couple of times when accelerating hard on a cold engine but its massively better than before. (NB: unlike bas I did nothing else at the same time - vag.com etc). From this I conclude that the issue for me IS sticking vanes in the turbo (I've had the MAF replaced with no effect) and that the powerboost lubricated / cleaned it enough to at least give me a temporary respite. I suspect I may at some point need to take the turbo off to really clean it out, or I heard of people filling it with oven cleaner! - however I would certainly try another can of powerboost again first if the problem deteriorates.

Anyway, thanks for your good advice :)

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
One thing is sure tho: the vanes are on the exhaust side of the turbo, while the cleaner only works on the intake side of it. Theorically it should do jack shite to the vanes,,, [and yes, this means that a good part of this thread is worth nothing, starting from my very own posts :D ]

matlock

Hmmm, well I can't explain it then. But it certainly seems to have made a big difference to my car! The only other possibility is that its actaully the act of driving the car hard after spraying that makes the difference rather than the spray, but I *think* I have run the car for long enough since that its not likely to just be that. I think the spray must manage to weedle its way somewhere good...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members