18" Performance alloy colour change

Pricey_Jnr

Jun 28, 2016
Hello all! I've got a 1.4 TSI FR in Black (I know, I know) learning from my mistakes but it looks bloody good when it's clean!
I'm contemplating a change of colour of the performance 18" wheels and just after a few suggestions or wise words of advice.
First option was to have them sand blasted to bare metal and then have a smoked lacquer applied.. Possibly brushed prior to the lacquer or secondly a matte gold.
Any response will be appreciated, cheers all!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Anthracite is always a safe choice and works well with black

+1 for anthracite, which works well for most car colours.

@Pricey_Jnr; you’ve not posted a picture of your wheels so we don’t know what the current finish is (diamond cut or painted / powder coated). If they’re currently painted /powder coated, I’d personally not have them stripped back to bare metal and just lacquered. Lacquer doesn’t adhere particularly well to bare metal, so you’d have the potential issue of white worm corrosion that you get with diamond cut alloys if the lacquer coating becomes damaged by stone chips, kerbing or careless tyre fitters, allowing the ingress of water under the lacquer.

If you were considering a smoked lacquer finish applied to bare metal, a more durable alternative option would be a smoked chrome powder coat finish, and powder coating wouldn’t wouldn’t be susceptible to white worm corrosion either.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise