180 FR, a brilliant car.....

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
I've driven both and it really depends on what you like. The TSI has a creamy smooth engine and revs out nicely, but has an inferior gearbox to the diesel if you are after a DSG. The TSI IIRC doesn't get the multi-link rear suspension that the TDI 184FR does either.

1/3. Must try harder! :)

Yes, the 1.8 EA888 is super smooth. It's a short-stroke version of the 2.0 engine found in the Cupra, Golf GTI, Audi S3, Octy VRS etc. and has twin balancer shafts. The downside with the TSi engine is that it is so quiet that you are more likely to hear the doors creaking and rattling than in the diesel. :)

In what way is the 7-speed DSG inferior to the 6-speed? It has a lower designed torque limit which means it won't take abuse as well as the 6-speed if you remap the engine for higher torque output. The simple solution is to have some mechanical sympathy and don't rag it constantly. Gear changes are smooth and fast. I have no complaints about the 7-speed DQ200 transmission and would happily have another.

All FRs with more than 150PS have the multi-link rear suspension and the larger brakes.

Last edited:

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
1/3. Must try harder! :)

Yes, the 1.8 EA888 is super smooth. It's a short-stroke version of the 2.0 engine found in the Cupra, Golf GTI, Audi S3, Octy VRS etc. and has twin balancer shafts. The downside with the TSi engine is that it is so quiet that you are more likely to hear the doors creaking and rattling than in the diesel. :)

In what way is the 7-speed DSG inferior to the 6-speed? It has a lower designed torque limit which means it won't take abuse as well as the 6-speed if you remap the engine for higher torque output. The simple solution is to have some mechanical sympathy and don't rag it constantly. Gear changes are smooth and fast. I have no complaints about the 7-speed DQ200 transmission and would happily have another.

All FRs with more than 150PS have the multi-link rear suspension and the larger brakes.

yeh, im with you here. I love my Tsi but damn its quiet. im seriously considering having the middle silencer taken out so i can get a bit more noise.

In the end i went for a 3 year old FR instead of a 6/7 year old Cupra and deliberately bought the DSG. I figure the torque limit will stop me mapping it and leave me with something to sell on after i finish with it, although i have found a tuner than claims to have seen 370 from the 250 box - no word on life expectancy afterward tho.

Not to mention it aint exactly slow - i saw it described somewhere as a 'warm hatch' which i sort of agree with - Itll still put you into licence losing territory scarily fast.

Seatowl

Apr 19, 2016
Another 5 weeks wait for mine, it's going so slow

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
Not to mention it aint exactly slow - i saw it described somewhere as a 'warm hatch' which i sort of agree with - Itll still put you into licence losing territory scarily fast.

Far from slow, obviously this will depend on what you come from. It sits at 70mph very comfortably and its VERY easy to look down and see 80+ on the clock :p

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
looking too get myself a MK3 leon fr, obviously im wanting some nice bells and whistles such as technology pack with the 18" peformance wheels. Although money no option what engine is best the 1.8tsi or the 2.0tdi? absolutely money no option does the diesels torque give it an advantage over the petrol or is the petrols rev range make it peform better?

I'd say the biggest factor is the mileage.
If you do lots of short trips the DPF will be an issue in a TDi. If you do longer trips (over half an hour or more) so it gets warm, and can occasionally give it 15 minutes at 2500 rpm, it should stay clear. You should get better than 50mpg, and tax is a measly £30 thanks to low CO2.
Obviously no DPF issue with the petrol....tax is higher, consumption not as good.
But we don't know what the tax situation will be on diesels in future, as Nitrogen/particulate emissions are the new bogeyman.
I've got the 184 FR.Had it 2 years and I love it. And I probably wouldn't buy it today....

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
I made enquiries with Superchips about the compatibility of their 1.8 CJSA remap with the DSG transmission.

They explained that they developed their CJSA map on a Leon 5F with DSG and have never seen any kind of transmission failure. The DQ200 will take much more than 250NM but common sense should prevail. If you are doing full boost launches away from every traffic light and foot to the floor at every opportunity then the risk of failure is increased.

IMC

Feb 4, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
looking too get myself a MK3 leon fr, obviously im wanting some nice bells and whistles such as technology pack with the 18" peformance wheels. Although money no option what engine is best the 1.8tsi or the 2.0tdi? absolutely money no option does the diesels torque give it an advantage over the petrol or is the petrols rev range make it peform better?

I did drive the 2.0TDi before buying mine(very, very good car), for me personally the 1.8TSI is just a bit more welcoming, very smooth and naughty at the same time. I don't know what your intentions are, yes- the diesel handles upgrades better (at least for the moment). Nevertheless I would still chose the petrol it is just sooo good.

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
I did drive the 2.0TDi before buying mine(very, very good car), for me personally the 1.8TSI is just a bit more welcoming, very smooth and naughty at the same time. I don't know what your intentions are, yes- the diesel handles upgrades better (at least for the moment). Nevertheless I would still chose the petrol it is just sooo good.

My last car was the 2.0TDi 170CR and before that my two previous cars were both VW Golf 2.0TDi. I changed to petrol 3 years ago when I got the 1.8TSi and I wouldn't now want to go back to diesel. I find the 1.8TSi so much more smoother and fun to drive and is particularly good on winding country roads in hilly areas. It can be a bit thirsty on fuel but now it's 3 years old I'm getting approx 40mpg from it with fairly normal driving.

Now it's 3 years old I will probably be thinking of changing in the next year and I am currently thinking of getting the same again but this time going for the DSG model instead of my current manual one. Some people have tried to convince me that I wouldn't notice much difference if I got the 1.4 ACT with DSG but I'm still to be convinced of this. The 1.8 is not so much more expensive than the 1.4 and I don't do very high mileage so fuel consumption doesn't worry me too much.

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
My last car was the 2.0TDi 170CR and before that my two previous cars were both VW Golf 2.0TDi. I changed to petrol 3 years ago when I got the 1.8TSi and I wouldn't now want to go back to diesel. I find the 1.8TSi so much more smoother and fun to drive and is particularly good on winding country roads in hilly areas. It can be a bit thirsty on fuel but now it's 3 years old I'm getting approx 40mpg from it with fairly normal driving.

Now it's 3 years old I will probably be thinking of changing in the next year and I am currently thinking of getting the same again but this time going for the DSG model instead of my current manual one. Some people have tried to convince me that I wouldn't notice much difference if I got the 1.4 ACT with DSG but I'm still to be convinced of this. The 1.8 is not so much more expensive than the 1.4 and I don't do very high mileage so fuel consumption doesn't worry me too much.

you will notice the difference ! we have the 1.4 act in a polo gt and the 1.8 in the leon, you have to work the 1.4 a lot harder to get similar performance, I can see the attraction of the 1.4 but people who tell you the 1.4 is better or you wont notice the difference etc don't know what they are talking about tbh, they are 2 totally different engines and driving experiences

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
you will notice the difference ! we have the 1.4 act in a polo gt and the 1.8 in the leon, you have to work the 1.4 a lot harder to get similar performance, I can see the attraction of the 1.4 but people who tell you the 1.4 is better or you wont notice the difference etc don't know what they are talking about tbh, they are 2 totally different engines and driving experiences

Thanks that's the impression I'm generally getting. I've almost certainly made up my mind to have another 1.8 as I love my current one, but next time go for the DSG.

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013

I completely agree! I have had a 1.8TSI 180PS DSG petrol Leon for nearly 3 years from new, and have recently test-driven a SEAT Leon, Audi A3 and VW Golf with the 1.4TSI 150PS ACT DSG petrol engine, and although the engine was very smooth-running and quiet, under actual first-hand driving conditions, in my opinion it just didn't seem to me to have the extra effortless pull and performance edge of the 1.8TSI 180PS DSG petrol engine and gearbox combination. Somehow, after the 1.8TSI engine, I found the 1.4TSI engine somewhat clinical and boring to drive. When I consider replacing my Leon at the end of this year, I will almost certainly be specifying the 1.8TSI engine or equivalent again!

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Hi guys (new). I have just ordered my Apollo Blue 1.8 FR a few days ago :), tried the 150 and 184 diesal but with the 180 it just felt more bang for buck especially as on my deal with PCP it was barely anything more on the payments! Just the 12 week wait now as it's rare it'll more than likely be full term wait for a new one (wonder if i'll get a 66 plate...not really bothered though). I found it just excellent to drive even if i didn't have as much time with it as with the others, I know it'll feel like a huge step up from my curent car, absolutely fell in love with it's looks, sound and those mean DRLs :D.

IMC

Feb 4, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
those mean DRLs :D.

Glad you mentioned the DRLs I am very pleased with those, also the LED lights, they are well above average. I can't imagine how VAG let this happen, even the much more expensive AUDIs have those ugly dotted DRLs.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members