19" Cupra alloys opinions

Wilto

Mar 5, 2021
South Wales
Hi everyone,
I recently won a set of 19" Cupra
Screenshot_20220330_074704.jpg
alloy's on eBay, it was an impulse, "I'm not going to win them" buy. Anyway after thinking more about my situation the more I'm doubting putting them on, these are my reasons.
1. Already have 18" machined
Screenshot_20220210_050530_com.android.chrome.jpg
black performance alloys on the car, and the cupra one's don't look a million miles different from them.
2. Only just put 2 new Michelin PS4 on the front 1000 miles ago.

3. Need to buy 4 new tyres for the new wheels, that's another £500 or so.
4. I've heard the ride quality will suffer on 19s. My current ride quality on my FR on 18s is nice.

Really don't know what to do, I'm about 60/40 in staying with my current wheels, and selling the 19"Cupra one on.
What would you guys do ?????

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Agree, the Cupra wheels are nicer but………not in the OEM diamond cut finish.

@Wilto - from your picture, I think I can see signs of either kerbing or white worm corrosion around the edge on two of your newly acquired Cupra alloys so IMHO they’d benefit from a refurb. Forum member @stugee106 had their Cupra alloys refurbished in a smoked chrome powder coat finish and I think they look so much nicer than the OEM diamond cut finish, and powder coating is much more durable than a diamond cut / machined finish too. Check out the picture in post #15 in the discussion thread at the link below;

Last edited:

Wilto

Mar 5, 2021
South Wales
Agree, the Cupra wheels are nicer but………not in the OEM diamond cut finish. Forum member @stugee106 had their Cupra alloys refurbished in a smoked chrome powder coat finish and IMHO they look so much nicer than the OEM diamond cut finish, and powder costing is much more durable than a diamond cut / machined finish too. Check out the picture in post #15 in the discussion thread at the link below;

Yes I've seen those wheels/colour, absolutely stunning, but ruled this option out at the moment as a colour change would be ANOTHER £300 or so.
So in total the cost to change colour of wheels put tyres on and the cost of the wheels, I'm looking somewhere in the region of £1400 😲
I could probably claw back some money by selling my 18s but again it's a big if.
Aaaaaarrrrr really don't know what to do.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Some other things to consider:

1. Do you have somewhere to store a second set of wheels? Consider using 18” wheels for winter tyres in the future?
2. Are you going to sell the 18” wheels to offset the cost of 19”?
3. You’ve got Michelins on the 18” so probably appreciate a premium tyre - 4 premium tyres on 19” >£500. Costco with a deal and it £600+ for PS4S. I had a puncture last week (nail in outer tread so couldn’t be puncture repaired) and for a single tyre I managed to knock them down to £180.
4. The suspension on an FR is notoriously hard (compared to equivalent competitor cars, including those made by VAG) improved on the Mk3 FL that you have, but I don’t think that the ride quality will be too different between 18” and 19”. The Cupra gets away with the bumps more due to the DCC suspension.
5. Another factor will be increased insurance premiums.
6. All diamond cut alloys are susceptible to white worm/lacquer lifting. Are the 19” alloys new or have they been refurbed? If refurbed, I haven’t found them to be particularly durable in the past, and you’ll probably end up wanting to repaint them.

Wilto

Mar 5, 2021
South Wales
1+2, Not planning on keeping the 18s if I decide on 19s
3, First time I've ever fitted premium tyres to a car, always used budgets or mid range.
4, Depends on tyres as well I suppose.
5, Not to bothered.
6, No they are used, with slight curb rash on two of the wheels.
Another option I've just thought of, is to keep my existing wheel's and get them powder coated in that anthracite or black chrome colour, and get two more PS4s for the rears (advisory on mot two weeks ago) 🤔

Ricky88

Mar 17, 2022
I had Michlin PS4S fitted a couple of weeks ago to my 19" Cupra wheels and they were £600 so depending on how much your bought the wheels for that's a big consideration.

Are the new wheels definitely true? Cupra alloys seem to be quite prone to buckles.

Really only you can decide if the cost and ride quantity is worth it you.

Your car looks great anyway IMO👍

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Do you want to make your car much more uncomfortable? then stick the 19" wheels on.

I am planning to drop my 19's for 18's as yes the 19's are great for hurtling round bends on the edge of traction and yes they will probably get you an extra milliseconds on the track. but..

Hit a pothole of any size and the tyre walls will split on the 19's easily as there is no give in them at all.

You will feel every other bump as though you are dragging your arse along the floor (especially if you don't have DCC)

I have distorted two wheels as someone has stated above as the gaps between spokes are quite large. (both rear so not sure how i managed that without pulling a wheelie!)

Honestly i wouldn't do it unless you live in an area with snooker table smooth roads or you want to do some serious track day fun.

Reactions: Wilto

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance for a change of wheels then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Reactions: Wilto

Wilto

Mar 5, 2021
South Wales
Do you want to make your car much more uncomfortable? then stick the 19" wheels on.

I am planning to drop my 19's for 18's as yes the 19's are great for hurtling round bends on the edge of traction and yes they will probably get you an extra milliseconds on the track. but..

Hit a pothole of any size and the tyre walls will split on the 19's easily as there is no give in them at all.

You will feel every other bump as though you are dragging your arse along the floor (especially if you don't have DCC)

I have distorted two wheels as someone has stated above as the gaps between spokes are quite large. (both rear so not sure how i managed that without pulling a wheelie!)

Honestly i wouldn't do it unless you live in an area with snooker table smooth roads or you want to do some serious track day fun.
Thanks mate, I've pretty much made up my mind, to stick with the 18".
Going to put some new tyres on the rears, and try to sell the 19s on.
I don't want to make any money on them just to get my money back, fingers crossed.
Maybe in a few years if my alloys are a bit scruffy I'll get them refurbished in that anthracite/ black chrome colour.
262821.jpg

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Late to the party, but if you get good tyres the ride will be fine. I have 17” winter wheels and 19” summer tyres and the difference isn’t as big as you would think. The comments about potholes splitting side walls and the 19s making the car unusable are nonsense.

I should mention the caveat that I only have experience with my Leon which has the independent rear suspension. I don’t know what it’s like with the beam.

However, I think your decision to stick with the 18s is the right one. They look great, and you know where they’ve been. Get those new tyres on the back and enjoy! You car looks great on your 18s.

Sep 16, 2020
I might need a new allow like the 19" above. Where is the best place to get them from these days?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.