1st gear very hard to engage

Oct 13, 2022
Hi all,

In the mornings when the temperature here is now around 13°C, 1st gear will only go in if I rev to 3k for a moment (like rev matching), or under significant braking (for some reason),or when the cars frame is twisted (from going into an uphill for example). 1st gear was always a bit peculiar but above 20°C it goes in without much resistance most of the time. 2nd requires rev matching while downshifting.

Things I have checked after researching the problem a bit:

-The gears change perfectly when the engine is turned off.
-When 1st gear won't go in, reverse will go in hesitantly.
-The brake fluid reservoir is at MAX level.
-The gearbox linkage appears to be functioning smoothly.Greased anyway.
-The gearbox mount is not moving, and the linkage is not loose.
-Tried to adjust clutch pedal, discovered I cannot, removed the clutch pedal stop to check if it bottoms out before fully disengaging,not the case in hot weather, will check at morning again to see if it does it then, because when I press clutch real hard it seems like it helps when it won't go in.

Note that the 90° twist metal part of the linkage (the one closest to you when looking at the linkage) of the car was replaced a few years ago. Other than that I can't make any sense of what the problem is, it appears like the clutch isn't fully disengaging but that doesn't make sense to me because without a dramatic change of temperature the car goes from 1st gear being hesitant of going in to not going in at all.

I would much appreciate your insight,
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
1. Check the gear cable linkage bush is still intact on the top of the gearbox. The horizontal one takes load and the rubber wears out over time.
2. Try resetting the the gear cable linkages. There is a set procudure where you lock the gearbox and the gearstick. Plenty of instructional videos on YouTube.
You need to remove the air box to get at the pin on the gearbox.
They don't need greasing so that won't help.

Oct 13, 2022
1. Check the gear cable linkage bush is still intact on the top of the gearbox. The horizontal one takes load and the rubber wears out over time.
2. Try resetting the the gear cable linkages. There is a set procudure where you lock the gearbox and the gearstick. Plenty of instructional videos on YouTube.
You need to remove the air box to get at the pin on the gearbox.
They don't need greasing so that won't help.
Thanks for the help, I'm searching on YouTube for Gearbox Linkage Reset for both the Leon and the Golf mk4, but I can't find what I think you mean, can you provide a YouTube link?

Oct 13, 2022
This one mate, shows both the 5speed and 6 speed
This is not what the linkage in my car looks like but thanks regardless!

By the way, greasing the linkage and tampering with the clutch pedal solved my problem somehow, the temperature in the mornings is even lower now and yet I have no problems, very happy.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members