2.0 8v gti downpipe-decat problem(blowing)

chappersno1

Mar 11, 2007
ive been recently stripping the exhaust off my car due to a blowing sound from the front which i baleaved was from the join of the down pipe to cat but got the mid section off today ant the down pipe off the manifold.

cant get the down pipe out from the bottom of the car due to the flanges are bigger than the gap ive got to play wiv.
what do i need to take of to get this out?

ive taken some of the heat shield off by the cat to find its all one piece ant cant find any leaks at the welds at the bottom so dont know where it can be leaking from?does anyone have an idea or had the same prob?

thanks

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
easiest way to find an exhaust leak, worked wonders on my first car when we were welding the exhaust on is to buy a bottle of redex petrol cleaner. Drop it through the throttle body, not only does it supposedly clean off all the carbon on the plugs/cylinders it also puffs out nice clouds of blue smoke. If you got a leak just look for the smoke under the car ;)

chappersno1

Mar 11, 2007
easiest way to find an exhaust leak, worked wonders on my first car when we were welding the exhaust on is to buy a bottle of redex petrol cleaner. Drop it through the throttle body, not only does it supposedly clean off all the carbon on the plugs/cylinders it also puffs out nice clouds of blue smoke. If you got a leak just look for the smoke under the car ;)

sounds like a good plan but the problem ive got is the heat shield coveres most of the down pipe and i need to get down pipe out of the car so i can find the hole.

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
not thought of taking it to an exhaust place? Slip someone £20 on a saturday afternoon or Sunday when management aren't there and they should be able to sort it for you!

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham

IS this ok to do? Im tempted but dont want to screw anything up lol. Do you just pour the redox in? And how much?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.