2.0 TSI 190 Acceleration Inconsistencies

3D_Rob

Dec 20, 2019
Hampshire
Is it just me or is this engine a bit variable in when it gives you full power?

Usually acceleration is strong and satisfying with a decent induction growl. But sometimes when I put my foot down it seems a bit lazy - will not drop down to the optimal gear, the engine just doesn't seem to get going like it should.

This in in sport mode, fully warmed up. Is this just the nature of an engine which is more biased towards economy?

FOX1429

Aug 6, 2012
Wales
I notice this in my Cupra sometimes

As you say (all things equal) - sometimes it goes like a scalded cat other times feels a bit ‘lazy’ as if it’s not in the mood to get going.

doesnt seem linked to oil/engine/outside temp just a quirk of the engine I think.
Ive had 2 Cupra 300’s and both have been like it.

put it down to the Spanish heritage. Sometimes it’s having a siesta!
???

Reactions: 2Stevo2

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
Felt this in every car I've owned to some extent but not to the degree you're suggesting, and certainly not in the 190 tsi.

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Is it just me or is this engine a bit variable in when it gives you full power?

Usually acceleration is strong and satisfying with a decent induction growl. But sometimes when I put my foot down it seems a bit lazy - will not drop down to the optimal gear, the engine just doesn't seem to get going like it should.

This in in sport mode, fully warmed up. Is this just the nature of an engine which is more biased towards economy?

Perhaps a patronising question, but are you judging the car is warmed up by looking at the coolant or oil temp?

rob280

Oct 27, 2019
Same here with my cupra 280. Sometimes it is awesome then other days it just doesn't feel so alive.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

3D_Rob

Dec 20, 2019
Hampshire
Perhaps a patronising question, but are you judging the car is warmed up by looking at the coolant or oil temp?
Always oil temp, once it's around 90°C I consider it properly warmed up.

For those who feel they have experienced this issue, is it just a SEAT thing or are Golf Rs, Audi ect going to do the exact same?

Reactions: Jazzjames

SimonSystems

Nov 13, 2020
North West
...if it's of any interest, I had an Audi S3 (2012 my) that was the same...most of the time it picked up its skirts and took off like a stabbed Badger (it was Revo mapped) - but sometimes it threw a strop and decided that it wanted to cruise around in its own sweet time - then dropped two gears and pinned me to the back seat ?...

3D_Rob

Dec 20, 2019
Hampshire
There's a possibility is just a DSG quirk, maybe I need to force a downshift next time and see what happens. Though this would seem to contradict the owner's manual which states that fully depressing the accelerator all the way to the final detent always gives the maximum possible acceleration, no matter what mode the car's in.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.