2.5" vs 3" Downpipe

hombre_paulo

Jan 12, 2013
I picked up a cheap 2nd hand 2.5" downpipe and sports cat for my LCR.
Before I have this fitted I was wondering how much difference there is in HP/TQ between this and a 3" downpipe? Has anybody tested this?
I know the 3" will give larger numbers but how much larger? 5hp? 10hp? 15hp? and equivalent torque numbers?

I'm not chasing big figures and will be unlikely to change the turbo in the future so a Stage 2 Revo map will be as far as I go with the car.

I suppose the overall question is a 3" downpipe noticeably better than a 2.5" on a standard K04?

hombre_paulo

Jan 12, 2013
Ok a bit more than I was expecting - but not sure it warrants the extra money to got 3"

Anyone got any similar info for the K04

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Ok a bit more than I was expecting - but not sure it warrants the extra money to got 3"

Anyone got any similar info for the K04

I would always go 3 inch. You never know what will happen in the future and if you do plan big turbo route you will need 3 inch.

Whats the price difference. 15BHP is noticeable. When tuning under 250Bhp

Last edited:

hombre_paulo

Jan 12, 2013
As I would like a cobra the 3" with sports cat is £900+ , the DP cots me £99 and a 2.5" cat back is about £350.
So total difference is £450 - so quite a lot

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
£900 with cat
£450 without "because that £99 downpipe 2" or 3" isn't gonna have a cat fitted at that price"

Just remember to keep you're old system for MOT day cuz you don't want to have to go and buy that all over again if it fails.

Me I wouldn't go to miltec/cobra route...Find a good metal man...There cheaper and will do what YOU want not what website say you should go for. That eBay pipe will be about the same for a metal man to fabricate but with good British steel.

Spelling edits all over the place today ☺️

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Nope - the 2.5" is a cobra with a sports cat in it (its 2nd hand)
Look on eBay I bid yesterday on a full cobra exhaust...Was at £60 when I bid.not sure about now. I'll try and find it for you

Here: Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322405337511

Is de-cat but don't waste you're money on just a downpipe if going second hand route for that kind of money. Plenty of cupra being broken as I type.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members