2005 1.9tdi clutch replacement

Aug 2, 2020
So I am still having issues with the clutch pedal not rising all the way back up sometimes. It's odd because when I press the accelerator it pops right back up. Going to have another look tomorrow and bleed it again but if it's still an issue I'm going to replace the clutch. Was looking for a walk through online but couldn't find one, if anyone has done one or has a link for anything I'd be very grateful

Thanks

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
A sticky pedal is often the slave or master cylinders. Are either leaking fluid? Don't think you'd have to replace the clutch unless it's slipping. But if you have a 6 speed the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing so the box has to come off.

There should be plenty of guides around if you search for MK4 Golf clutch.

Aug 2, 2020
I am not noticing any fluid from anywhere, I'm going to jack up the car tomorrow and give it a clean around the box so I can see properly, I do have the 6 speed unfortunately:( I have already changed the master cylinder so looks like it's going to be the slave. Is that a tricky job?? Is it just a case of removing the bell housing to get to the slave or will the clutch need to come out aswell

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
The gearbox has to come off to replace the slave cylinder unlike the 5 speed. If you're going that far it'll be sensible to replace the clutch and possibly the flywheel if you have a DMF.

Since there's already a new master cylinder then it may the slave. But given the work involved it's worth double checking & bleeding the system again before removing the gearbox.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.