2007 Leon 2.0TDi 'Stylance'

Deleted member 103408

I think they call that an apprenticeship you will only get paid minimum wage you know and no discount on your bill :)

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Right all booked in for the ALK and ARB to be done at the same time. bit of a PITA as I was hoping to avoid paying out for that so that I could get the brakes refurbed sooner. But at least it will be done.

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
On more exciting / interesting news. I met up with @Legojon in a services just off the M1 on Saturday, I was in a van sadly as the Leon was still broken but it only served to make the situation more seedy... the deal was done and we loaded the goods into the back of my van... the goods being... a cupra brake setup!

Totally didn’t realise how big they are relative to the standard setup. But they are pretty big.

Gave them a quick clean this morning and they’re looking pretty good. Might spend a bit more time on them depends when I decide to fit them.

42a961516867f361c00c752abf3c9128.jpg

06c1c5007eada44975c5d830550a18cb.jpg

664dee423637181cb51449ceb6565594.jpg

d97a2c938fe94e46ac63f5f9a5e0703b.jpg

4a1c915db7ea48efec77bb366ab6fa05.jpg

Left is after the clean, right is before.
c2b8f36f448f2072d433ebe1fdfece48.jpg

Job done
5b656dddb82d4b50e87fd4625cdb32ea.jpg

Got some discs as well just need to clean them up and I’ll paint centres with a fresh coat of black and then try to squeeze them under my tiny wheels. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Awesome!

You got 17's or 18's on yours? It could be a nice tight fit haha they will look awesome and just so you're aware going from normal car brakes to my R brakes is somewhat different lets say haha the wife nearly puts us through the screen when she brakes for the first time lol I need to get mine off to give them a clean!

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
Awesome!

You got 17's or 18's on yours? It could be a nice tight fit haha they will look awesome and just so you're aware going from normal car brakes to my R brakes is somewhat different lets say haha the wife nearly puts us through the screen when she brakes for the first time lol I need to get mine off to give them a clean!

I'm on 17s.... im going to do a mock fit first and make sure theres clearance. I think Ive seen them on VWs with 17s so im hoping all will be well. Dont want to really fork out for new wheels as well... it would kinda make the whole sleeper car less of a thing...

Edit: Might just have to grease them up.... lol

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
When is the fitting happening? I need a picture of this lol it's going to look ace!

You thought about painting them a less Cupra colour to look more sleeper ish....?

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
Awesome!

When is the fitting happening? I need a picture of this lol it's going to look ace!

You thought about painting them a less Cupra colour to look more sleeper ish....?

Well im hoping to mock them up at some point this week, just need some bolts and odds and sods so I'll get some pics. Then i'll see when I can get them fitted for real, the issue is bleeding them as i'd have to do it on my own and thats a PITA, so itll probably end up in the garage again.

I have thought about painting them silver but I do rather like the red.

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
@Jimbobcook and @Legojon How do you know what the braking system is? Im looking for brake pads but there seems to be 2 different systems and I dont want to get the wrong ones if I can avoid it.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
@Jimbobcook and @Legojon How do you know what the braking system is? Im looking for brake pads but there seems to be 2 different systems and I dont want to get the wrong ones if I can avoid it.
I've not had anything to do with my brakes yet so i'm not going to be that helpful unfortunately.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Wow, they look ace all cleaned up! I'm sure the mrs understands you using the kitchen sink! LOL! Still recovering from the fresh air! And the fact you know how in Australia spiders grow to massive sizes cause of the climate. Well up North it's yorkie puddings!! I'll see what I can dig up on the pads in a min.
Xzb1YIp.jpg

Reactions: Sharpy

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
8J0 698 151F is the OEM part no. When I google it, it says ATE brake pads. So I'd go with those. The front spacers should hopefully allow you a bit of clearance.

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
Wow, they look ace all cleaned up! I'm sure the mrs understands you using the kitchen sink! LOL! Still recovering from the fresh air! And the fact you know how in Australia spiders grow to massive sizes cause of the climate. Well up North it's yorkie puddings!! I'll see what I can dig up on the pads in a min.
Xzb1YIp.jpg

Shes not hear to pass judgement... food might taste a bit "chemically" for a bit though! lol They did come up pretty well, little polish and then some ceramic wax to protect them and they seem good to go. The pistions look mint, hoping to mock them up later in the week and get them fitted shortly afterwards.

That lunch looks amazing! I havent had a yorkshire pudding for a while despite living up here!

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
8J0 698 151F is the OEM part no. When I google it, it says ATE brake pads. So I'd go with those. The front spacers should hopefully allow you a bit of clearance.

Cheers, i thought they were stamped with ATE so i'll defo go for those. ive done some searching and lots of people running them on 17" wheels, in fact a 360mm disc is possible but the calipers become a problem if they have more than one piston. 345mm is plenty for me!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Shes not hear to pass judgement... food might taste a bit "chemically" for a bit though! lol They did come up pretty well, little polish and then some ceramic wax to protect them and they seem good to go. The pistions look mint, hoping to mock them up later in the week and get them fitted shortly afterwards.

That lunch looks amazing! I havent had a yorkshire pudding for a while despite living up here!

:rofl: , good to see you have your priorities straight. Yeah, the pistons looked rock solid when I took them off. Seemed a bit pointless to spend money refurbing when they cleaned up so good. I only took them off because I got the Brembos for a heavy discount (and a little cause I can't keep my foot off the happy pedal). Weird, I'd have thought you just queue up and they hand them out. LOL.

Cheers, i thought they were stamped with ATE so i'll defo go for those. ive done some searching and lots of people running them on 17" wheels, in fact a 360mm disc is possible but the calipers become a problem if they have more than one piston. 345mm is plenty for me!

Yeah, should have ATE stamped on it. From what I read, ATE refers to the fact it uses spring clips (Non-Ate apparently doesn't). Yeah, I can see lots of people running 17" with 345mm discs too. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Your windscreen might be. LOL.

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
I dont have the lightest right foot but with the current power thats not so much of an issue... but in time i'll defo need these! Might need race harnesses while i get used to the better brakes to stop me kissing the dash... and maybe a sign for people following? "warning brakes are very good, are yours?"

Brexit has had a surprising impact on the Yorkshire pudding industry, you have to pay for them these days! lol.

Its hard to read but they are defo stamped with ATE. Pads will be ordered as soon as Ive mocked the brakes to the car. with any luck ill have them fitted by the end of next week, just need some black and red caliper paint.

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
Just got a quote for the following parts for the brakes…
  • Pins / Sliders x4
  • Dust Shields and bolts x2
  • Fixing Bolts for the carrier x4
Total cost £160 inc VAT!!!!!!!

Can you guess the most expensive parts?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
If it's the sliders. I'd clean and reuse them cause there's nowt wrong with them. Is it the caliper carrier bolts? You asked Mike for a price?

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
If it's the sliders. I'd clean and reuse them cause there's nowt wrong with them. Is it the caliper carrier bolts? You asked Mike for a price?

Yep the sliders! £85 for the 4!! So i'll be using them again then! lol

I'll probably just end up getting the calipers bolts and the dust shields.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Fricking el. Are they made of kryptonite? Yeah 100% clean them with a wire brush n brake cleaner and reuse. They were in excellent condition anyway.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise