2007 TDi FR Coolant Loss

DaveI

Oct 5, 2007
About six months ago my coolant light came on asking me to top up, I did then and then ever since it has needed to be topped up every month or so. When it was in a couple of months ago for a faulty heater motor I asked the dealers to have a look at it and they couldn't find a fault.

It pinged again on Monday at me so I booked it in to drop off today, on the way to the dealer I noticed that the nearside heated mirror wasn't working so told them about it when I dropped it off.

Got a call about 2pm telling me they couldn't find the leak and the mirror was working fine!

Told them the coolant was going somewhere so the lady on reception put the workshop manager on who said I can either "keep an eye on it" or they could keep it in for a few days to try and find out where the leak is. I think he was hoping I would need it back and sounded quite dismayed when I told him he could keep it for as long as it takes!

So anyone else had a coolant leak and had it successfully diagnosed? I've read about leaky rads and knackered head gaskets (??) it's just getting the dealer to find it.

This Leon is now probably the worst car i've had for faults and it's a shame as I absolutely love the way it looks and drives :(

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
If its not your rad then worsed case scenario can be head gasket failing or head warped like some on here have had happen.Keep at em mate.
My heated mirror failed a bit back.Went in for service the other day and they needed to replace the mirror glass as it is connected to the failing heating element.
Did they make the mistake of not telling the mechy its the heater element and he or she just tried it left right up down and that was ok ?
Ive also heard people on here having the rad leaking only very slightly and some have had coolant pipe leaks.Usually though they should spot that on inspection.

DaveI

Oct 5, 2007
Well another day and another call from the dealer telling me they couldn't find the problem, I wouldn't be suprised if they hadn't even looked at it again, just phoned me up and told me they still couldn't find it.

So it looks like the new owner who will be a new starter at work will have the delight of filling it up every month as I get my new car tomorrow!

I'll post the reg in 12 months time so future possible owners can steer clear!

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
On this matter my light has continued to come on for the last few weeks so today I topped it up properly with the correct coolant to water mix. Within 10 mins the light was on again and when I checked the coolant tank was bone dry!!!!:(

Will be ringing them in the morning..............

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Sounds to me like the rad is weeping slightly.This can cause the heat from it evaporating the fluid causing them not to spot it on inspection.Hope for your sake it's not anything worse like the head gasket failing or head warped.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.