2010 altea 1.6 dsg 7 not engaging

Mar 13, 2021
Hi guys,

Problem with my seat altea xl 2010 1.6 tdi dsg 7 speed auto.

Car was driving fine no issue at all left it sitting for 3 days over xmas then when got in it and started it it would not let me move the gear lever at all the p is flashing on the display on the gear lever there is an amber coil lit on the dash and also flashing the auto box on the dash anyone help pls?

Thanks in advance

Mar 13, 2021
Mechatronic issue probably - look at https://www.eco-torque.co.uk/post/vw-dsg-7-speed-dsg-gearbox-problems for an explanation. Can be fixed but not cheap and easy......
Yea as suspected was hoping I was wrong and it might of been a easier fix.
What's strange is sometime it will let you move the selector but still no drive and sometimes it just wont start have to remove key replace it then try again.
Also had no warning signs just drove perfect then sat for 3 days over xmas when it was really cold icey and snowy then next time we went to drive it we had this issue?

Is that normal or dose it point towards other faults

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Can fail out of nowhere as well as giving a warning - eg will fail only as getting warm (say 5 miles driving) or when trying to get reverse. Failures do seem to happen after about 80K miles (had 2 at around this mileage and seen others on the forum as well historically) but obviously depends on how and where driven, oil changes etc. May be worth just checking the selector mechanism to make sure nothing silly preventing movement, but that would not explain CEL and flashing gear display. The mechatronic issue seems to be the only problem with this box really which is a shame because the gearchanges and response as well as the economy are excellent.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.