2014 FR MIB1 unresponsive buttons and touch screen

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Weird issue with my MIB1 head unit yesterday when I got in the car (for the first time in a few weeks!). The head unit powered on and worked as normal except none of the buttons, touch screen or proximity sensor responded at all EXCEPT for the power and volume knob which worked as normal. I was able to change the radio using the steering wheel controls, but nothing on the device itself... Tried repowering it, repowering the ignition, etc. but nothing made any difference.

Weirdly though - I suspect that this may have been temperature related (it was bloody cold) as a few minutes after starting the car up and when the blower started heating up the interior, suddenly the head unit went crazy for a few seconds (as if I was pressing the touchscreen at random), then it stabilised and suddenly all the buttons and touchscreen worked as normal!

Is this a known issue? I'm booking in for a service and MoT in a few weeks so considered asking them (although fear being charged a fortune for the privilege so a cheaper fix would be preferred!!) Head unit is a MIB1 with navigation...

Oct 21, 2020
I think it's a normal thing for electronics, for example when you leave your phone on the cold for few hours, and the battery is not dead yet, the screen will be sluggish or it won't work at all, keep in mind that the MIB1 unit is in electronic terms from stone age, but I don't think that you should be worried.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
it’s a known issue with VAG MIB1 infotainment units - or at least it is in the mk7 Golf. The MIB1 infotainment units in some of the early mk7 Golfs suffered from blank or unresponsive screens, or there being a delay between touching a button on the screen and the system responding. This tended to be predominantly - if not solely - during periods of very cold weather. I seem to remember reading of similar cases on this forum in the past too.

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Hmm yeah I've done some more Googling (with more generic search terms) and found a few people suffering similar problems. The jury seems to be out as to whether updating the software makes any difference but I'd imagine the stealer would relieve me of an eye-watering sum of money to even try... It's irritating, but if it is just during the cold weather (and it does sort itself out after a few minutes of warming through) then I guess I'll live with it. If it gets worse, then maybe I'll investigate upgrading the head unit...

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
My Golf R has done the same - it’s purely down to the cold in my case. Once the car has warmed up, it’s fine. Same as the CD player reading as well - if switching from SD card to cd when cold, it fails to read immediately. Nothing to worry about imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk