2015 Leon 1.4 FR on 225/40 R18 tyres - what should the tyre pressure be?

Jan 6, 2024
Hi :), I hope you're doing well. I live in the UK and I bought my first car last month, a 2015 SEAT Leon 1.4 FR. I have 225/40 R18 tyres on it and I believe this is not the standard tyre size for this car? If this is the case, the tyre pressure values on the sticker on the inside of the fuel tank flap might not be relevant. I don't know what the pressure of the 225/40 R18 tyres should be? If it matters, all four tyres are Bridgestone Turanza 6.

In most cases, I will be the only person sitting in the car. Occasionally there will also be someone in the passenger seat. More than 2 passengers total will be very rare.

For reference, I have attached the sticker on the inside of the fuel tank flap but as mentioned, these values might not be relevant as I don't think I have standard size tyres.

Attachments

• 20240106_132347.jpg
    20240106_132347.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Reactions: serdar_18fr

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hi :), I hope you're doing well. I live in the UK and I bought my first car last month, a 2015 SEAT Leon 1.4 FR. I have 225/40 R18 tyres on it and I believe this is not the standard size tyre for this car and therefore the tyre pressure values on the sticker on the inside of the fuel tank flap might not be relevant. Therefore, I want to know what the pressure of my 225/40 R18 tyres should be? If it matters, all four tyres are Bridgestone Turanza 6.

In most cases, I will be the only person sitting in the car. Occasionally there will also be someone in the passenger seat. More than 2 passengers total will be very rare.

For reference, I have attached the sticker on the inside of the fuel tank flap but as mentioned, these values might not be relevant as I don't think I have standard size tyres.
If your car had 18" wheels (it was an option) when it left the factory, then they will be the correct pressures.
If you look at the PR codes in the service book, one of the codes will relate to the wheels fitted from factory, unfortunately I don't know what the PR code should be but maybe a bit of 'Googling' may help.

Jan 6, 2024
If your car had 18" wheels (it was an option) when it left the factory, then they will be the correct pressures.
If you look at the PR codes in the service book, one of the codes will relate to the wheels fitted from factory, unfortunately I don't know what the PR code should be but maybe a bit of 'Googling' may help.
I don't know if it had 18" wheels when it left the factory, I'm the third owner. I bought this car last month and it had 225/40 R18 tyres on. I wanted to replace them with new tyres so I bought 4 new Bridgestone Turanza 6 tyres that are the same size (225/40 R18).

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
I don't know if it had 18" wheels when it left the factory, I'm the third owner. I bought this car last month and it had 225/40 R18 tyres on. I wanted to replace them with new tyres so I bought 4 new Bridgestone Turanza 6 tyres that are the same size (225/40 R18).

As Walone said, 18" wheels are one of the official sizes specified by the factory, and 225/40 is the correct tyre size for 18s.

My car has 18" wheels from the factory, I attached the photo of the sticker in my car.
I use the setting in the middle (32/29), to be exact my preferred setting is 32/30.
If more fuel economy or more comfort needed, one can use a little higher setting.

Attachments

• 1704557050952.jpg
    1704557050952.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 108
Nov 13, 2023
2.4 bar front,
2.2 bar rear.
Should be optimal.
225/40 are considered low profile tires, and if the pressure is low, the wheel could bend when you hit a pothole. If you travel fully loaded consider 2.6 Front, 2.4 back. But you mentioned you don't travel like that soo.. yeah.

Jan 6, 2024
Okay if 225/40 R18 is one of the official sizes, I can probably just use the values on the fuel tank flap then?

For 3 passengers (which seems like the best one to use as it will usually just be me in the car), it suggests 2.0 bar (29 PSI) or 1.8 bar (26 PSI). Not sure what the difference between the two values are, is 2.0 bar for the front wheels and 1.8 bar for the rear wheels?

Both values are lower than what you're using @serdar_18fr and @SkiTTbicepS but I think I'll go with one of those values as that's what it says on the fuel tank flap.

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Okay if 225/40 R18 is one of the official sizes, I can probably just use the values on the fuel tank flap then?

For 3 passengers (which seems like the best one to use as it will usually just be me in the car), it suggests 2.0 bar (29 PSI) or 1.8 bar (26 PSI). Not sure what the difference between the two values are, is 2.0 bar for the front wheels and 1.8 bar for the rear wheels?

Both values are lower than what you're using @serdar_18fr and @SkiTTbicepS but I think I'll go with one of those values as that's what it says on the fuel tank flap.
2.0 bar is for the front wheels and 1.8 bar is for the rear wheels.

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021

For 3 passengers (which seems like the best one to use as it will usually just be me in the car), it suggests 2.0 bar (29 PSI) or 1.8 bar (26 PSI). Not sure what the difference between the two values are, is one for performance and one for comfort? If so, which is which?

We don't know your car's factory-fitted wheel/tyre size combination, and also factory's pressure level suggestions for each wheel/tyre/engine combination are not well-documented. So I would think it is safer to go with the sticker on my car, which is a 1.4 FR and fitted with 18s from factory, the same with your car's current setup.

As for the difference between two or three different pressure levels shown on the sticker, factory specifies those according to the weight the car would be carrying, not according to the comfort or performance.

Jan 6, 2024
As Walone said, 18" wheels are one of the official sizes specified by the factory, and 225/40 is the correct tyre size for 18s.

My car has 18" wheels from the factory, I attached the photo of the sticker in my car.
I use the setting in the middle (32/29), to be exact my preferred setting is 32/30.
If more fuel economy or more comfort needed, one can use a little higher setting.
What's the difference between the first one and middle one on your sticker? Both show 3 passengers but the one in the middle has an "i"

Also I'm looking at the service history papers and I can't find a reference to "PR code" or "PR" anywhere. Is that what it is usually labelled as?

Last edited:

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
What's the difference between the first one and middle one on your sticker? Both show 3 passengers but the one in the middle has an "i"

Also I'm looking at the service history papers and I can't find a reference to "PR code" or "PR" anywhere. Is that what it is usually labelled as?

i for information, it means you need to read the manual :)
Both are partially loaded values, but factory says the one in the middle is for "comfort".
I always find this interesting because I'd think more air needed for a more comfortable ride and a lower pressure level would mean a harsher ride.
But obviously more air means more bouncing so what they mean with the "comfort" is less bouncing I think.

PR code is a general term for production codes.
They are three-letter codes, like the ones in second column in the attached screenshot.

1704562028242.png

Reactions: Cryptic_Signal

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow

In the service book (Maintenance Programme), just inside the front cover there should be a sticker with the car details such as VIN etc, the PR codes are 3 digits long further down the label. This label should also be on a sticker in the boot/spare wheel well, but they are often missing or damaged.

Reactions: Cryptic_Signal

Mo_86

Sep 25, 2023
UK
This is from my ST, don't know if it's any different to the hatch but my car came with 17s and there's 18s on there now
IMG_1024.jpeg

Jan 6, 2024
Thanks @Walone I just had a look at the maintenance programme.

@serdar_18fr :

This is interesting because I can see H7D in the maintenance programme and looking at the screenshot you sent, this means 225/40 R18 were fitted from the factory? In this case I wonder why the pressure values are lower on my fuel tank flap label 🤔

Anyway, in this case I think it's best to use the values on my label, which is 2.0 bar (29 PSI) for the front tyres and 1.8 bar (26 PSI) for the rear tyres. Which are lower than the values you and @SkiTTbicepS mentioned hmm...

On a side note, it says the model is 1.4 ACT so the engine has Active Cylinder Technology.

Mo_86

Sep 25, 2023
UK
Thanks @Walone I just had a look at the maintenance programme.

@serdar_18fr :

This is interesting because I can see H7D in the maintenance programme and looking at the screenshot you sent, this means 225/40 R18 were fitted from the factory? In this case I wonder why the pressure values are lower on my fuel tank flap label 🤔

Anyway, in this case I think it's best to use the values on my label, which is 2.0 bar (29 PSI) for the front tyres and 1.8 bar (26 PSI) for the rear tyres. Which are lower than the values you and @SkiTTbicepS mentioned hmm...
29 front 26 rear seems very low even in a car with just the driver.

Jan 6, 2024
I've attached a picture of the label in the MAINTENANCE PROGRAMME book.

Attachments

• 20240106_181102.jpg
    20240106_181102.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 41
Jan 6, 2024
You have H7D, meaning it was fitted with 225/40R18s in the factory.

Sent from my 23013PC75G using Tapatalk
Yeah. Just wondering why the tyre pressures values on my fuel tank flap are lower than the values on yours. Wouldn't want to underinflate them and @Mo_86 said 29/26 seems very low so I'm not sure what to do 😅

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.