2019 Leon fr tsi 190

James cupra 290 black

Apr 9, 2020
Hi everyone

so I currently have a Leon cupra 290. This is the car of my dreams and I worked bloody hard to save up and buy her. I have moved in with my partner and now my commute to work is about 500 miles a week . I just can’t afford the fuel. Even driving like a granny I am only getting 38-40 mpg. That is bloody hard when every little boy racer sits on your rear bumper (I always have to teach them a lesson). So I am left with a dilemma. I think the cupra is going to have to go. That leaves a oil burner FR or a petrol FR. I have seen a 2019 2.0 FR with leather and digital dash with 16k miles for just shy of £16k.
What are they like in fuel?
How do they handle?
What else is out there?

thank you for any input guys.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
That's 24,000 miles as year. Even a 2.0TSI 190 would only get you 43-45mpg best case scenario driving like a granny. I would suggest looking for a 2.0TDI 184, which should get you 55ish mpg or 60mpg driving like a granny. If you feel power is lacking (it has same torque as a Cupra) one can always bring it in for a remap and bring power figures to 220/230 mark which should be sufficient, whilst giving you still diesel economy figures.

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
The 190tsi won't give you a significant improvement in fuel consumption on your commute. It still takes a similar amount of fuel to move a similar mass at the same speed.

I suspect the 'cost to change' will far outweigh any small saving in fuel. There will be a small saving in road tax & insurance.

The handling, ride & performance is good, but not as good as your 290. You will end up with buyer's regret (I've made the same mistake in the past, swapped a gorgeous BMW 330ci for a 320D to save a few quid a week. I kept it 3 months before I sold it for something exciting, lost thousands). Make a saving somewhere else in your life if you can, or get a small diesel.

It will make you sad.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yeah buy a cheap car that you can just bang miles on. Something like an old passat tdi / volvo diesel / honda accord diesel

something big comfortable and cheap that doesnt matter if you put 25k miles on a year

James cupra 290 black

Apr 9, 2020
Thank you everyone for your input it has certainly helped to put things into perspective. Unfortunately I can’t really save money elsewhere in my life (going through a messy failed business split lol) so a diesel might be the best option. I think I need to get to the main stealers and have a test drive in a diesel fingers crossed I don’t hate the really small power band lol. At least I have had a cupra I guess. In a couple of years time once I am financially sound again then maybe I could get another one .

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
A 3l diesel beemer is no slouch however wont get the mpg you desire probably 45mpg on a run so the saving would be negligable. Unfortunately you will be looking at a hum drum 4 banger 2.0l so you are not going to be impressed.

i would certainly be looking at a big comfortable barge to do that mileage. Would discount a Leon comfort wise.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
I have a fr184 and when I go back to see the family, which is a 100 mile trip, at least 35 miles of A-roads and a few miles of city driving, it will easily do 50+mpg. Well worth a look if fuel economy is your main concern. Another bonus is £30 a year tax! To state the obvious, It will be no where near as fun as a cupra, but it’s not a bad drive. Feels nice and planted in the bends.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
I suspect the 'cost to change' will far outweigh any small saving in fuel. There will be a small saving in road tax & insurance

This may well apply to almost any other car unless buying something old, cheap & diesel :(

You'll hate it.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
There will be a small saving in road tax & insurance.
Insurance could actually go up compared to what @James cupra 290 black has been paying before his circumstances changed.

Sounds like he’s now doing a higher annual mileage, and if he’s moved from what his insurer classifies as a low risk area to a high risk area, then the cost to insure an FR could be more than he had been paying for insurance on a Cupra. Having said that, under those circumstances, the cost to insure the Cupra would also increase.

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
That's 24,000 miles as year. Even a 2.0TSI 190 would only get you 43-45mpg best case scenario driving like a granny. I would suggest looking for a 2.0TDI 184, which should get you 55ish mpg or 60mpg driving like a granny. If you feel power is lacking (it has same torque as a Cupra) one can always bring it in for a remap and bring power figures to 220/230 mark which should be sufficient, whilst giving you still diesel economy figures.

Before my Cupra I had the 184 FR with a tuning box, so should be similar to a remap.

I can confirm that it pulled like crazy - the extra torque really pushed you back in the seat.

James cupra 290 black

Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for all the input guys. Unfortunately yes I am moving into the centre of Nottingham so my insurance has gone up too. Thanks to the help you guys have given me I am 90% sure I am going to sell the cupra and get a tractor. Sorry did I say that out loud . Yes the toque figures are the same as the cupra but I am sure even with a map it won’t feel anything like the cupra. That said I don’t have much of a choice. So the next thing is selling the cupra I guess. Sad to see her go. She is a minter and drives f*****g awesome. Had some great fun down country lanes at ermmm the speed limit . If anyone is interested let me know.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members