2020 Leon Cupra - Electrics Fault -- (REPAIRED)

A_5mith

Jun 14, 2017
West Yorkshire
Seem to have run into an issue with my 20' Leon Cupra ST, issues began when the cruise control gave the yellow exclamation mark on damp mornings which required turning the car off and on again to resolve. Took it to my usual SEAT garage who checked the wiring around where the fault was (no mention of the actual fault), found no issues, cleared the code and a hearty "keep an eye on it" as I left.

Happened again on the next cold, damp morning but was already booked in for an oil service, before i could take it for the service I got a few more errors throwing up on my dash last week:

Left the car running to get up to temperature, turned the car off and back on, all warnings vanished (other than the service which has now been done). SEAT Garage said they could see entries about "missing messages", cleared those, couldn't replicate the fault. Has happened again yesterday, the earliest my garage could book me in with a courtesy car was the 13th December, contacted a few others and we're down to the 2nd December, so at least I'm booked in to have it looked at. (Albeit with the "if rats have done it, you're footing the bill" and the parts availability issue that two others had while I was waiting for my service)

Seen a couple of threads on here about water ingress and corroded bits and pieces around the airbox from searching, but they seem to be older Leons Mk2s etc.

Anyone had anything similar on a newer Leon? Third time taking my car in for an electrical fault in less than a year of owning the car. Hoping it's something obvious. 🤞

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021
Seem to have run into an issue with my 20' Leon Cupra ST, issues began when the cruise control gave the yellow exclamation mark on damp mornings which required turning the car off and on again to resolve. Took it to my usual SEAT garage who checked the wiring around where the fault was (no mention of the actual fault), found no issues, cleared the code and a hearty "keep an eye on it" as I left.

Happened again on the next cold, damp morning but was already booked in for an oil service, before i could take it for the service I got a few more errors throwing up on my dash last week:

Left the car running to get up to temperature, turned the car off and back on, all warnings vanished (other than the service which has now been done). SEAT Garage said they could see entries about "missing messages", cleared those, couldn't replicate the fault. Has happened again yesterday, the earliest my garage could book me in with a courtesy car was the 13th December, contacted a few others and we're down to the 2nd December, so at least I'm booked in to have it looked at. (Albeit with the "if rats have done it, you're footing the bill" and the parts availability issue that two others had while I was waiting for my service)

Seen a couple of threads on here about water ingress and corroded bits and pieces around the airbox from searching, but they seem to be older Leons Mk2s etc.

Anyone had anything similar on a newer Leon? Third time taking my car in for an electrical fault in less than a year of owning the car. Hoping it's something obvious. 🤞

Hi mate,

Just wondered if you managed to get it into a garage sooner to find out what the issue is or you're still waiting?

I'm getting a lot of the same error codes on my 19 plate Cupra 290 with the added "bonus" of it just not unlocking or anything with the remote central locking (or keyless entry). Can't even start it up as it flashes all those errors a few times (once per start up attempt, I guess), then just dies completely - no lights or anything. Disconnecting the battery, leaving for an hour or so and reconnecting got me back to that initial phase again but then the cycle repeats.

Granted, it's not quite the same issue you seem to be having as you can actually start your car but you're the only one I've seen with the same error messages I'm getting (albeit, you seem to be getting a few I'm not like the damper one).

Regards,

Mike

A_5mith

Jun 14, 2017
West Yorkshire
Hi mate,

Just wondered if you managed to get it into a garage sooner to find out what the issue is or you're still waiting?

I'm getting a lot of the same error codes on my 19 plate Cupra 290 with the added "bonus" of it just not unlocking or anything with the remote central locking (or keyless entry). Can't even start it up as it flashes all those errors a few times (once per start up attempt, I guess), then just dies completely - no lights or anything. Disconnecting the battery, leaving for an hour or so and reconnecting got me back to that initial phase again but then the cycle repeats.

Granted, it's not quite the same issue you seem to be having as you can actually start your car but you're the only one I've seen with the same error messages I'm getting (albeit, you seem to be getting a few I'm not like the damper one).

Regards,

Mike
Hey mate, still booked in for the 2nd, I've purposefully been trying to get it to do it. Only correlation I have thus far is it only does it when the cruise control is in the "on" position. It happened while driving at full operating temperature last week, first warning I got was the cruise control fault, then all the others. So turned cruise control off, pulled over, car off, key out, back on, no warnings. Had the cruise control off since and no warnings at all.

Will let you know what they say once I've been in though. 👍🏼

Nov 25, 2021
Hey mate, still booked in for the 2nd, I've purposefully been trying to get it to do it. Only correlation I have thus far is it only does it when the cruise control is in the "on" position. It happened while driving at full operating temperature last week, first warning I got was the cruise control fault, then all the others. So turned cruise control off, pulled over, car off, key out, back on, no warnings. Had the cruise control off since and no warnings at all.

Will let you know what they say once I've been in though. 👍🏼
Ah right ok. I'd like to say I'll check my cruise control settings but I haven't actually driven the car for a few days. Just popped up now as I've tried to go out in it. Coincidentally (or maybe I'm just assuming coincidence), it was at Seat a few days back for a rear shocker and top mount replacement and the only time I've driven it since then is to drive home.

But yeah, thanks, that'd be much appreciated. I'm going to give Seat a call first thing tomorrow to try to get booked in. I'll let you know if they spot anything that could potentially help with your situation if I manage to get in before your date.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
@Mike_2626

One for you to check - was a 4 wheel alignment and/or front assist/ACC sensor recalibrated post damper/top mount replacement.

The sensor needs to be recalibrated if the rear suspension is altered.

Nov 25, 2021
@Mike_2626

One for you to check - was a 4 wheel alignment and/or front assist/ACC sensor recalibrated post damper/top mount replacement.

The sensor needs to be recalibrated if the rear suspension is altered.
Ah, I wasn't aware of that. I never got told anything regarding that like - just that the work was done and here's the paperwork. It was done at a Seat dealership (warranty repair) so I'd like to say yes but I shouldn't just assume so, I guess.

I'm actually waiting on a call back from them so I'll bring that up with them when they do.

Thank you

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Some ammo. More post replacement of top mount.

Attachments

• 80DA08D2-8DF4-4F21-B1CC-33ADE2399750.jpeg
    80DA08D2-8DF4-4F21-B1CC-33ADE2399750.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 107

A_5mith

Jun 14, 2017
West Yorkshire
Mini update, they had the car two days, found 90 or so fault codes stored, but no way of replicating the issues I was having. They didn't go into detail as I picked the car up about 10 minutes before closing yesterday. They've booked me back in for the 4th January to have another stab at it for slightly longer next time.

Last edited:

A_5mith

Jun 14, 2017
West Yorkshire
UPDATE:

The car should be fixed, tech was in the middle of having the wiring loom apart and ended up needing to remove the dash, as the dash was coming out, it lit up like a christmas tree with the same errors.

Turns out when the car was built, one of the wires was too short, and was being stretched/pulled from a connector, another cluster of wires behind the dash where they all meet had been taped, but had bare wiring still exposed. Both have now been repaired/fixed and the short wire extended so it's no longer under constant tension.

Only downside is the steering wheel hasn't been put on quite straight after the dash was removed, waiting for a call back on that one as it's triggering my OCD a bit driving with a JUST wonky Seat logo in a straight line.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
UPDATE:

The car should be fixed, tech was in the middle of having the wiring loom apart and ended up needing to remove the dash, as the dash was coming out, it lit up like a christmas tree with the same errors.

Turns out when the car was built, one of the wires was too short, and was being stretched/pulled from a connector, another cluster of wires behind the dash where they all meet had been taped, but had bare wiring still exposed. Both have now been repaired/fixed and the short wire extended so it's no longer under constant tension.

Only downside is the steering wheel hasn't been put on quite straight after the dash was removed, waiting for a call back on that one as it's triggering my OCD a bit driving with a JUST wonky Seat logo in a straight line.
Thanks for giving an update, so often you get someone posting about an issue but they don't follow up on whether it gets cured :)

Reactions: JCB360
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.