Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
What is it?

This is the MK4 CUPRA Leon hatchback with the potent 300HP petrol engine. We previously reviewed its sibling, the CUPRA Leon eHybrid 245PS which didn’t really hit home for all our CUPRA fans, will the performance upgrades bring it to life?

This model with a 2.0 TSI and 300PS gets from 0-60 mph in 5.7 seconds and going all the way to the standard 155mph limited top speed.

Disclaimer – this is not a UK specification vehicle and was a left-hand drive car delivered to the UK for the press. Equipment varies by market, some features are missing from an equivalent UK model, and some are optional. Here are details of the UK specification.

Verdict
Fast and fun to drive...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
The car doesn’t have the wow factor

i can’t see many being sold escpecially at the price point.

too high, too narrow, wheels too big, looks like a rollerskate, no sideskirts

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Really like the look of the car. The exhaust thing is strange, but this is how AMG and Audi RS have their exhausts so it's certainly not awful (not as bad as the completely fake diesel audi exhausts anyway). Otherwise, completely agree about the UK/non spec. For this car's price point, you'd want the lot. Especially the steering wheel, that really does baffle me. The way CUPRA have managed the formentor and the specs and now this, I just don't like the constant change. Make a good product and stick with it... all very peculiar.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
The car doesn’t have the wow factor

i can’t see many being sold escpecially at the price point.

too high, too narrow, wheels too big, looks like a rollerskate, no sideskirts
I guess wow factor is based on the human looking at it but yeah I get what you mean, I thought looking at other pictures etc that it didn't look great but in person it's much better looking car. So I think a fully spec'd UK VZ3 trim is about £39k and the VZ2 is about £38k yet a fully spec'd Golf R is going on for 47k (without the stuff the CUPRA doesn't have like HUD etc), the Golf starts at 39k.

By too high I assume you mean the gap between the wheel and arches or the car in general?
The wheels are the same size 19" wheels on the MK3 Cupra
I think the side skirts are an option in the EU specs from the images I've seen

Really like the look of the car. The exhaust thing is strange, but this is how AMG and Audi RS have their exhausts so it's certainly not awful (not as bad as the completely fake diesel audi exhausts anyway). Otherwise, completely agree about the UK/non spec. For this car's price point, you'd want the lot. Especially the steering wheel, that really does baffle me. The way CUPRA have managed the formentor and the specs and now this, I just don't like the constant change. Make a good product and stick with it... all very peculiar.
Yeah I guess it's the first quad exhaust I've looked into the pipes, it just felt a bit cheap lol A follower on IG also mentioned that in Mexico they don't get the buttons on the steering wheel either.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
I'm not sure you can blame Boris or Brexit for the options problems. This has been going on for some time. When I bought my Ateca I couldn't option it to include everything I wanted (either starting from FR or Xcellence spec). The only way to get everything I wanted (except heated windscreen) was to get the Cupra instead (at least that's my excuse!).

Please take note Seat/Cupra. If you continue down this route you may not be on my shortlist when it's time to replace my current car!

Reactions: Mike the_cupra

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I'm not sure you can blame Boris or Brexit for the options problems. This has been going on for some time. When I bought my Ateca I couldn't option it to include everything I wanted (either starting from FR or Xcellence spec). The only way to get everything I wanted (except heated windscreen) was to get the Cupra instead (at least that's my excuse!).

Please take note Seat/Cupra. If you continue down this route you may not be on my shortlist when it's time to replace my current car!
Yeah it's an easy thing to poke at is Brexit, i've not had much dealings with the CUPRA brand as of yet in terms of buying/leasing but it does seem that things have gone a little interesting in terms of spec lists etc

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Yeah it's an easy thing to poke at is Brexit, i've not had much dealings with the CUPRA brand as of yet in terms of buying/leasing but it does seem that things have gone a little interesting in terms of spec lists etc
For me, it's more the advertising/branding and then the end product. Lots of formentor buyers are in some kind of VIN lottery as to whether they get electric tailgate, etc. All of the advertising shows the EU-top spec cars and then what, we can't get those? Why? The main reason I'm in a CUPRA now was the spec on the PFL Ateca C&S - it has everything. The branding aside, it was a no brainer. Corner cutting and changing specs is only going to upset people and as others have said, may lead them away from the brand.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Interesting write up guys. Am certainly looking forward to it arriving with us.
Have you been given any expected dates of arrival yet? Bet you're glad for the large car park with all these new cars coming out haha

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
1619710748326.png

Strange solution on Cupra, really cutting corners. I don't think Audi RS or AMG does it like this, they may have a smaller exhaust inside a bigger tip but there is no hole around it.

Formentor has normal quad exhausts (no disconnect between the tips and the exhaust system. As seen below (I took a quick photo). I am really surprised they didn't use the same system.

1619710915910.png

Reactions: Jimbobcook
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.