290 black - running in? fuel?

strell

Nov 30, 2016
The normal ul run out. I put in some Tesco sul.

Got bored driving like miss daisy so buried the loud pedal. In cupra mode it makes a lovely growl and goes like a scolded rat.

Much pleasure and smiles ;-)

I have often found with my other cars that the Tesco super unleaded has lead to some really good pops and bangs from my exhaust. Especially the Mini JCW I used to have!

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
I've run my 290 on normal unleaded from day1, and naturally the performance is breathtaking.

However, I think I'll let the fuel get down to the red then fill up with super unleaded to see if I notice any difference.

I'm really not too bothered about maybe getting 'only' 275PS with normal UL but I'm more concerned about any long term damage it might be causing.

Wheeler

Feb 2, 2017
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and I had a similar question as well regarding the running in.
I've been babying my Grey Cupra 290 for the first few hundred miles, careful not to go above 4K.
Many differing opinions online. Some engineers say breaking in the pistons to prevent hotspots and others say drive it like u stole it from day 1.
I'm keeping it conservative, changing gears down often just to keep the revs changing until I hit about 500miles then it's redline heaven for me.

As for fuel, the manual does say that a minimum 95 RON petrol is required. I was surprised as I thought the min will be 98 RON.

I'm watching my oil temperatures at the moment and it seems like I'm hitting 100 degrees C just on mixed highway urban driving and not thrashing the car. I wonder if this is normal?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I've run my 290 on normal unleaded from day1, and naturally the performance is breathtaking.

However, I think I'll let the fuel get down to the red then fill up with super unleaded to see if I notice any difference.

I'm really not too bothered about maybe getting 'only' 275PS with normal UL but I'm more concerned about any long term damage it might be causing.

I tried that, and like the 5th gear program when they looked at it, I could feel/see no difference, and they concluded unless you were racing, the tiny amount of change was not worth the extra money and no harm would be done to the engine, as if you look at the filler flap it has 98/95 marked on it.

Last edited:

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
Hi mate, welcome to the forum!

There's lots of opinion on here and it depends how risk averse you are!

I ran mine in properly to 600 miles, up and down the revs to 4K. I did this purely as I was concerned Seat would be able to plug the car in and see how it had been driven. I presume there will be a trace of that logged. I didn't want them rejecting any warranty claims for the engine further down the line.

It was easy (but still tempting) for me as I do 250 miles a week on a mix of all road types every day. The 600 miles was up after a couple of weeks as I couldn't stop driving the thing!

Up to you what you do!!

100 is normal for the oil. Mines been up to 105, I think.

I always use the higher octane, normally V-Power, but Texaco Super, if not, only for the reason the garage is half a mile from home. I figure the extra £5 a tank is worth it. Why wouldn't you?!

Good luck with it and enjoy! Fun cars and surprisingly rare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
welcome wheeler. I was like you with the run in.....got to 400 miles got bored and mashed the pedal. it was many smiles ;-)

I run mine on SUL as I have the tuning box on. plus the Tesco 99 bang bang fuel is just down the road on way to work or motorway. you do get more miles to the tank with SUL too as they engine works less for more bangs with the higher octane. that is proven on these programs that the same amount of fuel will take you further if driven the same.

tempos for me are the same...100 when cruising at 70-75 up to 105 when pressing on but soon drops.

nice to have an oil tempo reading as many cars don't have them now and it drives me up the wall!! water heats a lot faster than oil so its nice to know when you are above 70 degrees

above all enjoy and the engine will free up more I am told and give even more giggles....and surprises to Audi R8 drivers ;-)

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
There are many myths about running in an engine.
But one is recommended for performance engines, read here:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

As a consequence of this thread I wrote to Seat and asked them what the reasoning was behind the recommended running-in period/procedure and what the consequences of not following it would be - if any.

I received their answer earlier today:

"The running in procedure stated in the user manual are to be followed. The consequences of not doing so will be excessive engine wear, increased risk of engine failure and a shorter lifespan hereof."

Last edited:

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Not forget when the car comes off the production line they let it run already then with full power and max revs to check the engine!!!
Read the article well I posted.

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
My engine oil temperature sits at a fairly constant 104/105 on a motorway journey.

Filled up with super unleaded today and have noticed no difference at all.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Filled up with super unleaded today and have noticed no difference at all.

Some people won't, some people will, others will put it in there 1.2 Citroën saxo 's and be convinced it's worth another 30 bhp and women's clothing will fall off as they drive down the high street on a Friday night cruise :D

But Octane rating Is not about power - although a slight increase Offten occurs as a byproduct, if the engine is designed to make use of higher octane - Octane ratings are simply a measure of petrols ability to resist engine knock — a rattling or pinging sound that results from premature ignition of the compressed fuel-air mixture in one or more cylinders.

Sadly something fithgear failed to even mention in their test and instead focused mainly on gained or not bhp - which flawed it from the start - and 'POWWWER' , probably in an attempt to be more like top gear, but with less shouting and tyre smoke :)

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
Although I said I'd not noticed any difference with SUL, I will probably keep using it. I filled up with SUL costing exactly £51. If I'd used normal unleaded it would have cost £48.94, so not a huge saving.

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
Although I said I'd not noticed any difference with SUL, I will probably keep using it. I filled up with SUL costing exactly £51. If I'd used normal unleaded it would have cost £48.94, so not a huge saving.

Exactly! Not worth worrying about. Surely, those thinking its worth putting 95 in would have been better buying a non-performance version in the first place? A few extra quid to run a 300bhp motor is a small price to pay.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise