2nd Hand 1.6 engine

RedRunner

Hi guy's,

Hoping someone can help me here. I have bought a 2nd hand engine for my cordoba which has 65k on the clock, my existing one has 94k on the clock, and was wondering if i can get the clock reset to show the mileage of the new engine i have bought?

Thanks in advance

RedRunner

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
If I remember rightly, you can only reset/set the mileage on a 'new' set of clocks. Once they've been used, I don't think it's possible to reset/set the mileage :(

I might be wrong though.

Might be worth asking the same question in the Mk2 Ibiza section, as they're the same clocks/ECU and there's a wider audience over there ;)

RedRunner

If I remember rightly, you can only reset/set the mileage on a 'new' set of clocks. Once they've been used, I don't think it's possible to reset/set the mileage :(

I might be wrong though.

Might be worth asking the same question in the Mk2 Ibiza section, as they're the same clocks/ECU and there's a wider audience over there ;)

Thanks Andy. Ill give it a go over there.

Cheers
RedRunner

pipster

I dont think what you're attempting to do is completely legal anyway! you are basically wanting to 'clock' the car! The Odometer should display the mileage that the car has done , not just the engine, The MOT history should confirm the real mileage anyhow. A bit of simple maths will always tell you the actual mileage of the engine for your own use.

pipster

It is clocking the car yes. you can only legally change the mileage if you have to have new clocks for some reason

Well I suppose RedRunner could smash his clocks up and find some second hand with a similiar mileage to the engine as a needed replacment then???
......Or could unpllug the current clocks for the next 29000 miles :D

RedRunner

or just get the clocks for that engine.

Never actually thought of that - sounds like aplan.

Any idea how much it would cost to get the cocks fitted? So far I have had a new clutch, engine and general servicing parts to shell out for and I bought the car in January!!

Thanks for your help
RedRunner

vngtx

are you sure the mileage is stored in the clocks and not in the ecu?

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts
Never actually thought of that - sounds like aplan.

Any idea how much it would cost to get the cocks fitted? So far I have had a new clutch, engine and general servicing parts to shell out for and I bought the car in January!!

Thanks for your help
RedRunner

if you got any machanical knowlege then you could probably do it your self. 4 screws and a plug and its out. or take it to the guy who`s doing the engine and he will do it.