30mm or 40mm

basemanuk

scooby to leon
Sep 30, 2008
chelmsford
hi i have got a 2003 leon cupra and would like to get some new springs, but diddnt know weather to go for a 30mm drop or a 40mm drop! also any ideas on places that will do a good job in fitting them in the essex area! (just like to add that i have a wife and baby girl so it is a family car!! if you know what i mean!)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
When at the 40mm drop range you will also need to uprate your front ARB drop links because the drive shafts will be rubbing on your subframe.
Also the drop that is satated by a manufacturer is based on the standard Leon ride height. As yours is a cupra it will alread be 15mm lower than the base models, the LCR being 10mm lower again. So a 30mm spring will only actually lower the car 15mm so 5 mm lower then a LCR. Also make sure you get the ones for a 1.8T or TDI as the other spings are not weighted correctly for these heavier cars.

JamJay

California Bound
Hi Junior. I am im the proceeds of lowering my LCR but I wasn't aware of what you just stated above. So if I was to buy -40mm springs or a spring/shock package, my car would only drop another 15mm?
Would I be better off buying a -50mm kit so I get a 25mm drop? Will I still need to upgrade the drop links on mine?

Last edited:

basemanuk

scooby to leon
Sep 30, 2008
chelmsford
so if i stay at the 30 - 35mm drop range it shouldnt cause any probs else where i.e fit the new spring and off i go (so to speak)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Baseman

This 'should' be alright but better off getting a definate about this from someone with a LC and this drop.
Theres a chance you will get problems with your shocks as this is alot more pressure on these.

Jason S

Your car with 50mm 'should' only lower it 25mm. Your drop links/ARB set up is different to the one in the LC. You won't need to upgrade drop links with this amount of drop.

JamJay

California Bound
Thanks Junior Senior.

My concern now is that no spring/shock kit will give me the drop I want. Measuring the arches to the top of the tyre looks a good 30mm drop at least, just to get it to the stance of an R32 anyway. Maybe coilovers will be a better option for me.

Croc

speak to amd mate i get all my stuff done there they are in thurrock and do some pretty good deals on suspension

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.