312mm brake upgrade - a warning

ZakG

Nov 16, 2018
You can grab a 288 to 310mm carrier (which is what i linked to above) and use your normal caliper and pads and just get 310mm discs if you like. If you want everything red, you'd obviously need the caliper too. What I meant earlier was, the actual kit from Audi/Seat, etc is APRacing. It was designed and branded by them as OEM fit for the S1, Ibiza, etc.
Ok thanks for clarifying mate, mine are red from factory so I think I’ll just do that then, easier than going for the 312 setup and also having 20 year old callipers on a 6 year old car which would then need painting etc. My pads are on their way out anyway so if I get some good ones it should stop much better. Cheers.

Lucero

Dec 6, 2017
Ok thanks for clarifying mate, mine are red from factory so I think I’ll just do that then, easier than going for the 312 setup and also having 20 year old callipers on a 6 year old car which would then need painting etc. My pads are on their way out anyway so if I get some good ones it should stop much better. Cheers.

Got some more info for you - (popped into the local dealers today). Official SEAT SPORT 312mm Calipers from APRacing are basically out of the question because they bolt directly to the hub (which is completely different to the 288mm variants). There was no 312mm option for SEAT (other than the APRacing kit, which was an option), and only 310mm, which uses the caliper carrier linked earlier, the normal 288mm caliper and a new 310mm disc (and pads). However, if you wanted a VAG 312mm option, that was possible by using a 312mm carrier from another car in the VAG group, same caliper, 312mm disc and pads. For the sake of 2mm, as I said earlier, I didn't think it was worth it.

On the caliper note, it was mentioned that there is a caliper piston size variance (can't quite remember the dia. but 47mm, 52mm spring to miind). This is stamped on the caliper rear face. In essence, a 47mm piston on a 310 or 312mm disc might not offer enough pressure and it could feel like the pedal is travelling further. I'm not sure I buy the science, as for me, it's the brake master cylinder which will determine the pressure given to the piston, so personally, I'm not sure I would mind (I never checked mine, and they're fine).

ZakG

Nov 16, 2018
Got some more info for you - (popped into the local dealers today). Official SEAT SPORT 312mm Calipers from APRacing are basically out of the question because they bolt directly to the hub (which is completely different to the 288mm variants). There was no 312mm option for SEAT (other than the APRacing kit, which was an option), and only 310mm, which uses the caliper carrier linked earlier, the normal 288mm caliper and a new 310mm disc (and pads). However, if you wanted a VAG 312mm option, that was possible by using a 312mm carrier from another car in the VAG group, same caliper, 312mm disc and pads. For the sake of 2mm, as I said earlier, I didn't think it was worth it.

On the caliper note, it was mentioned that there is a caliper piston size variance (can't quite remember the dia. but 47mm, 52mm spring to miind). This is stamped on the caliper rear face. In essence, a 47mm piston on a 310 or 312mm disc might not offer enough pressure and it could feel like the pedal is travelling further. I'm not sure I buy the science, as for me, it's the brake master cylinder which will determine the pressure given to the piston, so personally, I'm not sure I would mind (I never checked mine, and they're fine).
Messaged the seller of the brackets to ask for confirmation of the centre to centre distance of the bolt holes for securing to the hub (should be 10cm) and they said it’s 9.4cm. I imagine they’ve just measured the distance between the holes not the centre to centre distance, they’ve also not specified centre to centre in their reply, just ‘the distance between the holes’ so I’ve just sent another message trying to get clarification.

And yes I was never considering the AP setup anyway but good to know it wouldn’t work anyway:thumbup: . There’s plenty of options on eBay for 312 setups e.g. from mk1 TT’s but it’s more to do, not sure if it’s worth it as you said for 2mm extra but wouldn’t I then be able to get bigger pads in as well? And regarding the pedal travel distance I’ve read on other threads that it might travel a bit further but then bite harder?

However there seems to be more options out the for 312 discs as opposed to 310, for which I saw some OEM ones for £60 on eBay which seemed a good price or ATE, or a load of brands I’ve never heard of. As for the 312 there’s plenty of options from all the trusted brands, what discs did you get for your 310 setup?
Cheers

Lucero

Dec 6, 2017
Messaged the seller of the brackets to ask for confirmation of the centre to centre distance of the bolt holes for securing to the hub (should be 10cm) and they said it’s 9.4cm. I imagine they’ve just measured the distance between the holes not the centre to centre distance, they’ve also not specified centre to centre in their reply, just ‘the distance between the holes’ so I’ve just sent another message trying to get clarification.

And yes I was never considering the AP setup anyway but good to know it wouldn’t work anyway:thumbup: . There’s plenty of options on eBay for 312 setups e.g. from mk1 TT’s but it’s more to do, not sure if it’s worth it as you said for 2mm extra but wouldn’t I then be able to get bigger pads in as well? And regarding the pedal travel distance I’ve read on other threads that it might travel a bit further but then bite harder?

However there seems to be more options out the for 312 discs as opposed to 310, for which I saw some OEM ones for £60 on eBay which seemed a good price or ATE, or a load of brands I’ve never heard of. As for the 312 there’s plenty of options from all the trusted brands, what discs did you get for your 310 setup?
Cheers

I stuck with dealer supplied discs and pads which were £150 total after discount. Discs were ATE branded. You're right in that there are far more options for 312mm (including the OEM APRacing option). The 310mm is a weird beast. It's like the forgotten child of SEAT. There are practically no Ibiza models with it, and it never appears on aftermarket parts sites like ECP or GSF.

More confusing is that if you put the 310mm part number into Google (6R0615301B), you'll get as many results for 312mm discs as you will 310mm - Makes you really think the extra 2mm doesn't even matter from a caliper/carrier perspective... The APRacing SEAT part number for the 312mm disc is 8N0 615301A - note the similarities...

Last edited:
Reactions: ZakG

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I stuck with dealer supplied discs and pads which were £150 total after discount. Discs were ATE branded. You're right in that there are far more options for 312mm (including the OEM APRacing option). The 310mm is a weird beast. It's like the forgotten child of SEAT. There are practically no Ibiza models with it, and it never appears on aftermarket parts sites like ECP or GSF.

More confusing is that if you put the 310mm part number into Google (6R0615301B), you'll get as many results for 312mm discs as you will 310mm - Makes you really think the extra 2mm doesn't even matter from a caliper/carrier perspective... The APRacing SEAT part number for the 312mm disc is 8N0 615301A - note the similarities...

Don't get mugged into thinking they are very similar because the part numbers are quite similar, that is just down to the way that VW Group have designed their parts systems.

May 14, 2020
Anyone got the part number for the required hubs for those of us who are stuck with the 256mm FSIII brakes?

I'm so used to upgraded 312mm brakes from my previous car (lines, fluid, HP+pads, solid bushings) that I feel like I'm going to end against a wall on my new FR (1.2TSI)
6Q0407255-6Q0407256(LH/RH).

Jul 12, 2020
Hi all sorry this one seems to have been done to death, but, I have the 288 setup on my 2015 ibiza fr. I've been trying to work out upgrading to 310, and the caliper carrier part numbers appear to be the same for both 288 and 310.

Can anybody clarify if the caliper carrier on the 288 ate calipers is the same for the 310 and I just need 310 discs and pads and my existing calipers and carrier or do I need a different caliper carrier as well as the discs and pads from the 310?

If I need a different carrier is there a different reference for it to the 288? Thanks in advance all.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise