312mm brake upgrade

sean fr88

Hi guys i know this has prob been covered but bored at work and on my iphone and cba to search through posts. Basically im interested in the 312mm front brake up grade. Ive seen on ebay i can get the whole kit for around £275 im just wondering peoples thoughts and feedback on the pros and cons.

Cheers sean...

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hi guys i know this has prob been covered but bored at work and on my iphone and cba to search through posts. Basically im interested in the 312mm front brake up grade. Ive seen on ebay i can get the whole kit for around £275 im just wondering peoples thoughts and feedback on the pros and cons.

Cheers sean...

I did the swap on my Mk4 130TDi sport - not done it yet on the MK5

IMO 312mm is the brake setup the car should have come out of the factory with.

Smooth , powerful and progressive - spot on for quick road work and every day safety.

Never found any cons that I could feel but the main one is the extra unsprung weight.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49882

Did anyone actually ever find a link that will give you the complete upgrade package and price?

Deleted member 49882

I see. And these are definitely a straight swap on the Mk5? Not a bad price. Think I would want the callipers painting though

Last edited by a moderator:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I see. And these are definitely a straight swap on the Mk5? Not a bad price. Think I would want the callipers painting though

Should be no issues - the front hubs are the same as the mk4.

I will be ordering a set in the new year for mine - just before it gets a remap.

Have a look at his other items for sale - also available in black, red, blue , yellow , orange etc.

A little more at £275 but saves painting them yourself.

Deleted member 49882

No bother. Notice though that the callipers are reconditioned...not sure about that tbh or how it would go down with insurance :S

Deleted member 49882

Yip ... That would be my concern, hence pointing it out. :/

sean fr88

Thanks for the feedback. I didnt realise these were reconditioned tho. Would be nice to get everything as new. So is this all i need for a straight swap? No conversion kit needed or anything i need to add to fit them?

When you're braking hard from 140mph it's nice to remember your second hand parts are covered by the Ebay guarantee, ho hum.

being as the brakes are reconditioned id say they are less likely to fail than the ones on some peoples cars anyway.
also who brakes hard from 140mph brakeing hard at that speed is asking for trouble.
who does 140mph regular enough to warrant worrying about braking at that speed. :)

Reactions: Bakers_6p

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
So explain to me the difference between re-painting, re-sealing & replacing slides on your own calipers vs buying reconditioned calipers where the same job has been done ?

Reconditioning of calipers is VERY common.

In fact if you decide to buy calipers from the major motor factors - they want your old ones in exchange. Where do you think the old calipers go ?

And come to think of it - when did you ever get brand new brakes on you second hand car ?
You have absolutely no idea how the last person treated the brakes on the car you just bought.

Last edited:
So explain to me the difference between re-painting, re-sealing & replacing slides on your own calipers vs buying reconditioned calipers where the same job has been done ?

Reconditioning of calipers is VERY common.

In fact if you decide to buy calipers from the major motor factors - they want your old ones in exchange. Where do you think the old calipers go ?

And come to think of it - when did you ever get brand new brakes on you second hand car ?
You have absolutely no idea how the last person treated the brakes on the car you just bought.

precisely. :D

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
When you're braking hard from 140mph it's nice to remember your second hand parts are covered by the Ebay guarantee, ho hum.

Braking hard from 140 MPH isn't going to end well whether you have OEM/aftermarket/refurbished brakes!

I know loads of people that have done the 312mm upgrade on cars such as the Fabia MK1 vRS and MK2 vRS none have had problems. Half of them didn't even buy the reconditioned set, just off someone who straight removed them off their car.

I will be personally buying a set off ebay, the pro's outweigh any con's.

Apr 14, 2011
i bought my refurbed 312mm kit off ebay powder coated green with disks and pads 250 quid great quality went on my mk 4 iibiza fine and stopped perfect il be putting them on this ibiza just to fill the wheels out a bit and improve standard kit :)

Apr 14, 2011
lil pik of mine
IMAG0229.jpg

and a pik to show the diffrance between 288mm kit and 312
IMAG0226.jpg

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise