3rd brake light for Altea - how does it come out?

Muppo2000

Aug 27, 2015
Hi all,
I've got a problem with the high level brake light on my 2012 Altea. (Not the XL)
I've taken off the interior trim and have miraculously disconnected the old led strip but on trying to get the light unit to come out of the spoiler.. I can't get it to budge.
It feels like it's clipped in but there is no room to get anything in there to unclip it! I can get a long screwdriver in there but that's about it
Has anyone any ideas how to get the thing to budge? Or how it comes apart?
Any advice would be useful.
Cheers

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Is it the same as the Leon where your looking up through two round holes about 2" diameter? If so, there is a clip holding it as well you can stick a screwdriver in... but it's an absolute pain.

Reactions: Muppo2000

Muppo2000

Aug 27, 2015
Thanks legojon,
It's got two 2 inch sort of rectangular holes either side and a smaller circular hole in the middle. And a flat slit that I can't get anything in.
It looks like there's 2 parts joined together... 1 clear plastic bit that holds the led strip and a red plastic part that is the actual brake light.
I can see there are clips holding the two together but I can't get to them, so I wondered if I should even be trying to get them apart or if the whole unit pops out as one? But if it does it's pretty well stuck in there coz I can't budge it! LOL!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Sounds like the access is different... but sounds more like the prefacelift where the unit is in 2 parts:

Reactions: Muppo2000

Muppo2000

Aug 27, 2015
Ah ok... I was trying to push it in the opposite direction (left instead of right).
I'll give it another go but yes it looks similar.
It's not exactly the the same as the Leon...If anything the holes are slightly bigger to work with on the Altea.
I'll have another crack at it and see how it goes.
Thanks Legojon!

Reactions: Legojon

Muppo2000

Aug 27, 2015
Legojon, you should be called legendjon!
I got my big breaker bar and gave it some stick from the other direction like on the video and "click"... The two bits have separated.
Just need to get the new unit on Monday and hopefully it'll be good as new.
Cheers for the help mate.
:coolthumb

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Haha, great news. Glad you got it sorted. I'd have gone with left as well if it wasn't for watching that video.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members