4drive - any good?

Andy Knoxville

Jun 17, 2020
Hi, I'm fairly new to the forum and originally had been set on getting a seat Leon. Bit the draw of the Ateca is very strong.

I have seen the the fr 2.0 dsg comes with 4drive.

Can anyone advise if the 4drive is any good for say snowy conditions?

I live in a semi-rural location and have been caught out a couple of times in the snow. Once having a 5 hour drive (normally takes 30 minute's from my work too home). Also another time where I had to walk home that took nearly 5 hours as well.

I also go down a lot of country lanes that are used by agricultural vehicles which can leave the roads muddy, etc...

Many thanks in advance!

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I've got 4Drive in my MK3 Leon Cupra ST and also live in a mud ridden area that see's more tractors than most on the lovely ropey back roads lol i'm yet to have any issue with traction.

As for snow I cannot comment and I know mine isn't an Ateca but I would assume the same sort of result lol not that i'm wishing for snow but i'd like to try my 4Drive out haha

Hope you get more of a conclusive answer soon.

You could always just get a MK3 Leon Cupra ST 300 4Drive haha that I can endorse.

Reactions: Andy Knoxville

Andy Knoxville

Jun 17, 2020
I've got 4Drive in my MK3 Leon Cupra ST and also live in a mud ridden area that see's more tractors than most on the lovely ropey back roads lol i'm yet to have any issue with traction.

As for snow I cannot comment and I know mine isn't an Ateca but I would assume the same sort of result lol not that i'm wishing for snow but i'd like to try my 4Drive out haha

Hope you get more of a conclusive answer soon.

You could always just get a MK3 Leon Cupra ST 300 4Drive haha that I can endorse.
Thanks for the reply

I really like the Leon 300 cupra st. I actually enquired about one that came up at a Seat dealership that had the optional bucket seats. But it sold before I had a chance to go and see it.

The seats in the cupra look gorgeous though and I can imagine the non bucket ones are just as good as well.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks for the reply

I really like the Leon 300 cupra st. I actually enquired about one that came up at a Seat dealership that had the optional bucket seats. But it sold before I had a chance to go and see it.

The seats in the cupra look gorgeous though and I can imagine the non bucket ones are just as good as well.
I can say as mine are brand new they take a little easing in but are very comfy and keep you in place when needed. I don't currently see a reason to get the buckets with my current ones lol WHat's the price difference between the ST 300 4 Drive and the Ateca you've been looking at?

Reactions: Andy Knoxville

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
Mine handled the snow we had for one day back in February without any problems (I've got a Cupra rather than the FR). Driving style and tyres can make a big difference as well. Couple of colleagues needed a push on one of the hills near work but I didn't even notice it!

Tell

Staff member
I have had a bit of snow driving on my 4Drive Ateca on a mission to collect the partner from a hospital appointment - worked fine. Juggled the control and off we went and back to normal when the road cleared. Got me out of another side road with ease on another occasion.

Tyres are important as well so my plan is to change to all season once these factory fitted ones are warn out. Choice is much greater these days. Will go for the Cross Climate I think. Now living at the top of a hill in a village so consider the need to get in and out seriously.

Reading threads of front drive Ateca's owners where people came from diesel to petrol they noted that they had less grip in snow related to the weight of petrol over diesel cars. Another variable perhaps if changing from diesel 2WD to petrol if snow is important where 4Drive has its benefits.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.