8bit's Mk1 Leon Cupra R. Scarlett - as in Johansson...

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Missed this til now. Bonny clean motor. Will be good to see it develop :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Cheers Al :) What you driving now, still got Bess for the moment?

Willie, ok well I'll have to order the trackrod ends from David at the end of the month so I'll ask for prices on some OEM rear discs for now too then.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Bess is undergoing a major downgrade as we speak (literally). Driving a Yamaha R1 for now.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
That's a shame to hear about Bess, that was an impressive car, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess. The R1 will give you yer flat-oot kicks for now am sure tho :) Been meaning to get my bike licence for years now, did a CBT when I was at uni but let it expire due to no money to get properly qualified. Maybe once me and the g/f have got a house I'll get round to that then.

Niall,

Missed your thread until now! Title threw me off I think!

Cars looking good! Did you have the wheels done at the last meet? Can't for the life of me remember... I'm considering getting mine done after I have mine up and running. £120 from chameleon down here in Glasgow :)

And as Willie said, David at sere is by far the best place to get OEM parts. I go to him for even small things like gaskets and bolts if I'm not desperate.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Cheers Josh :) Thought the title might get more attention than "yet another red LCR blah blah" but guess I was wrong. Says a lot about petrolheads as a species!

No just got the wheels done about 2 weeks ago, last meet they were still OEM silver with some bad kerbing. It was Chameleon I went to but sadly got there about 2 days before they announced that offer. They did make a good job of the wheels but there's been a strange clicking noise from the rear brakes since then. Can't say for sure that was their fault yet but the car is in the garage today getting it checked out - certainly was no noise before tho.

Other thing is I think they didn't let the lacquer dry long enough before putting the wheels back on - I jacked the car up to try and get the rear offside wheel off to check out the noise but couldn't get it free. Didn't want to try and force it too much cos it was just on the elbow jack as I've not got a trolley or axle stands yet. Hopefully they're not stuck too much and the garage manage to get them off without damaging them!

Cheers Josh :) Thought the title might get more attention than "yet another red LCR blah blah" but guess I was wrong. Says a lot about petrolheads as a species!

No just got the wheels done about 2 weeks ago, last meet they were still OEM silver with some bad kerbing. It was Chameleon I went to but sadly got there about 2 days before they announced that offer. They did make a good job of the wheels but there's been a strange clicking noise from the rear brakes since then. Can't say for sure that was their fault yet but the car is in the garage today getting it checked out - certainly was no noise before tho.

Other thing is I think they didn't let the lacquer dry long enough before putting the wheels back on - I jacked the car up to try and get the rear offside wheel off to check out the noise but couldn't get it free. Didn't want to try and force it too much cos it was just on the elbow jack as I've not got a trolley or axle stands yet. Hopefully they're not stuck too much and the garage manage to get them off without damaging them!

They should manage to get the wheel off I would hope! Where have you put it in?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Hope so! It's at Dee Garage out in Banchory - bit of a pain to get there and back but I trust them and the guy that runs the place has a Skoda with the 1.8T so reckon he'll know his way around the engine.

Did you ever get your turbo seal sorted?

Hope so! It's at Dee Garage out in Banchory - bit of a pain to get there and back but I trust them and the guy that runs the place has a Skoda with the 1.8T so reckon he'll know his way around the engine.

Did you ever get your turbo seal sorted?

Oh right superb.

No not yet. Just sat all me resits so as soon as I get back I will be getting back on it.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Ah right, you at uni/college? What you studying?

Been using that place for a while now, used to use the guy's Dad in Peterculter, but it's up a mega-rough track, not sure an LCR could get up that road without gettin beached. I know you do a lot/all work yourself but is there anywhere else you'd recommend?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Heard back earlier tonight, garage found some of the exhaust hangers were broken so they're fixing those and putting on new OEM rear discs and pads. Other than that they couldn't find anything wrong, but have asked them to clean up and free all the calipers (front and rear) as well as sorting out the back with new discs and pads. I'll get some good discs and pads for the front as the next item on my LCR shopping list...

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Hmm heard mixed stories about those, more positive feedback on the Green Stuff pads but willing to take first-hand experiences. Do you know if they have wear sensors?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I'll take you up on that then next time I see you. Is the noise like all the time or just when braking?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
ach i can deal with that - just put a Jetex cone filter in, now find that when driving in town I'm very gentle with the throttle, if I floor it and it goes "wooosh-TTSSSSHH" then pedestrians look at me and scowl!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Well back from the garage tonight, good news is the noise is gone, got some new OEM discs and pads on the rear now and they took all the wheels off and cleaned up all the pistons (front and rear) to make sure they're all free and whatnot. Braking performance seems a little better now but will need to get some good discs and pads on the front, that's gonna have to wait a little bit now tho.

@Willie, as said above based on what you were saying about the brakes I asked them to check out the front ones, they said they're fine now so guess it's just the worn discs and cheap crap pads that are on there.

Back in business for now anyway :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.