8v loosing water rapidly

vngtx

ive had it for 3 weeks now and ive had to top the coolant up 3 times in the past 2 weeks. i cant see any signs of a leak anywhere, the rdiator is nice and clean (nothing to suggest a leak eg rust) all the pipes are fine. theres no visible leaks from coreplugs (the ones i can see without taking cam belt and pulley off) and nothing dripping underneath that ive noticed. it has been running warm since i had it but not much above average. usually about 90*c oil temp through town and traffic.

any suggestions of where to look next?

vngtx

no oil in water yet. maybe its just starting to go, but i think that rattle i hear when i rev it is actually the water pump....

andycupra

status subject to change
if the oil and coolant looks ok then head gasket is less likely. - assuming you are not getting excessive steam from the exhaust also...

Topping up... about 1/2 - 1 litres a time? i have no idea what mileage you do but it sounds like a small leak which may not be easy to find as may only happen when travelling.

You say its runing hot? then say 90 degrees.. which is spot on for coolant...
Next time its hot check to see if there is any steam leaks, from places like expansion bottle etc.

vngtx

i usually do short trips to shops during week and ive had to top it up twice in 2 weeks. not seen much steam from exhaust. plenty of oil in it and i top up bout half a litre of water at a time. just put sum kseal in, gonna run it for a week and see if it loses any more water. ill get water pump off when i do timing belt to check it. im hoping its not head gasket as ive done 4 already this week at work :(

RichardMurkin

Sep 12, 2008
Normanton (wakefield)
i had the same problem not so long ago and it turned out to be the housing that attaches to the head. it finally went on the a1 wen i was on my way to custom pipes for a full system,since the new 1 its been flushed out and topped up and is perfect!

vngtx

the thermal housing from the radiator to the head on the front right hand side of the block?

RichardMurkin

Sep 12, 2008
Normanton (wakefield)
yes m8! its hard plastic and the aa man said that the weather wil of finished it off due to the freezing conditions then the plastic going hot, Cheap fix in the end and def worth doing if i was you m8. (i was topping up the same as you)

ibiza power

ad say get it upto temp n then check all the pipes let the fans kick in so the coolent is flowing through its a lot of coolent to be loosing for it to be going no where.

vngtx

i had a look after doing a few runs to the shops and parts places, no sign of any water, fan kicked in at the right time, not that much pressure in the radiator pipes, it must be its evaporating too quickly for me to see. reservoir filled up on its own after putting kseal in....

crossedmike

try your bottom radiator hose as mine got caugght on the fan and sliced a hole so was leaking out but could notice

crossedmike

haha thats good and bad i suppose lol tempry fix turned permenant lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.