A few issues I noticed with Leon Mk4

theknightbg

Jan 26, 2021
Hello,
I got my Leon Mk4 in November and have put over 3000km in it since. Mine is FR 150Hp Manual. The car was a demo and has the bigger touch screen, ambient lighting inside and it is blue. I absolutely love it, but it does come with its problems.

1. If you have the turn signal on when you shut off the car, the same headlight will remain on even after the car is turned off completely and locked, risking to drain your battery.

2. Wireless apple car play is not perfect. Mine sometimes does not connect at all even until I shut down the car and start it again. It can be quite annoying and I really hope that this is fixed soon.

3. Welcome lights (under the mirrors) are great when they work. I have had a few times where at night, none of the outside lights turn on, when I unlock it. Weird.

4. I still cannot understand how they forgot to add lights to the touchscreen buttons underneath.

5. Lane assist outside of the highway cane be dangerous. Roads around me are quite narrow and I have to turn it off every time I start the car.

Other than that I love it. It is my first car that I have bought myself and owned and to be fair cannot ask for more. I also love that it updates from time to time, hoping that some of the issues will be resolved.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Is item 1 not the parking light function (carry over on Mk3) which illuminates front and rear lamp on the side the signal arm has been left when switched off? It seems the Mk4 has teething problems ?. I may change later this year for a Mk4 hopefully they have added lights to the heater controls by then :giggle:.

scuj1

Mar 3, 2015
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hello,
I got my Leon Mk4 in November and have put over 3000km in it since. Mine is FR 150Hp Manual. The car was a demo and has the bigger touch screen, ambient lighting inside and it is blue. I absolutely love it, but it does come with its problems.

1. If you have the turn signal on when you shut off the car, the same headlight will remain on even after the car is turned off completely and locked, risking to drain your battery.

2. Wireless apple car play is not perfect. Mine sometimes does not connect at all even until I shut down the car and start it again. It can be quite annoying and I really hope that this is fixed soon.

3. Welcome lights (under the mirrors) are great when they work. I have had a few times where at night, none of the outside lights turn on, when I unlock it. Weird.

4. I still cannot understand how they forgot to add lights to the touchscreen buttons underneath.

5. Lane assist outside of the highway cane be dangerous. Roads around me are quite narrow and I have to turn it off every time I start the car.

Other than that I love it. It is my first car that I have bought myself and owned and to be fair cannot ask for more. I also love that it updates from time to time, hoping that some of the issues will be resolved.

1. Is as Yern explained this is the parking light. Used more in Europe than anywhere else and is pretty much on every VAG vehicle.

4. It's poor and not something I'm looking forward to when mines arrives but I'm sure I'll get used to it or just use the voice control. I believe these have infrared sensors rather than a capacitive sensor, so any lighting will impair the sensor.

Tell

Staff member
On 1. The 2016 Ateca sqauks at you if you leave the indicators on and try to leave... so you wouldn't be able to lock and leave the car without a warning of your error. You have no sound warning that the indicators are turned on when locking it / leaving it ?.

5. Best bit on lane assist is you get the camera so any one with a prior car to the 2020 ones can enable traffic sign recognition (with sound warnings if speeding) if they didn't buy it as an option (VCDS mods are shut off with FL models). On lane assist, keep that turned off. As you say off main roads it can be dangerous. Fun when it's on but doesnt help you to steer round pot holes of UK roads. More of an autobahn thing. Might be handy with traffic assist if you do a lot of motorway driving with queues.... don't do a lot of that, so keep that off as well. Keep the level of automation at zero.

Reactions: scuj1

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
It's poor and not something I'm looking forward to when mines arrives but I'm sure I'll get used to it or just use the voice control.
Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the voice control - it's something that Syphon found to be completely hopeless when he tested the car earlier and it would be nice to think that SEAT have ironed out the gremlins now it's fully in production.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Is item 1 not the parking light function (carry over on Mk3) which illuminates front and rear lamp on the side the signal arm has been left when switched off? It seems the Mk4 has teething problems ?. I may change later this year for a Mk4 hopefully they have added lights to the heater controls by then :giggle:.
I think the parking light function is a VAG thing and has been a feature across brands for quite a few generations of vehicle. It’s been on the last three VW’s I’ve owned. It might also have been on VW’s I owned prior to that, but I can’t remember if it was or not.

As for the lack of illuminated controls below the infotainment screen; this has been discussed on various VW forums as the new Golf also has this non illuminated panel (I think the all electric VW ID3 does too). It does seem to be short sighted or penny pinching on the part of VAG to not have added backlighting to these heating and volume controls; you’d have expected it to have been picked up during night time testing of pre production vehicles.

Volume adjustment isn’t such an issue as the steering wheel controls can be used instead. Some would argue that voice control can be used to adjust the heating and ventilation, but based on some of the review videos I’ve watched on YouTube of the Golf, voice control can be a bit hit and miss, so it’s probably no different in the Leon.

theknightbg

Jan 26, 2021
Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the voice control - it's something that Syphon found to be completely hopeless when he tested the car earlier and it would be nice to think that SEAT have ironed out the gremlins now it's fully in production.

I have been trying to mostly use the Voice Control and it is good. My favorite commands are
"My feet are cold and My hands are cold." The I climate options in general I find really nice, as well as the filtration system inside (for pollen etc). I would not say the voice control is hopeless, in fact I think it is quite good. The one thing that is really annoying is the "Hola Hola" voice control trigger. This is a big hit and miss, but I'd rather press the button on the steering wheel.
I would be using the voice control at night most of the times, but not because i want to but because i do not have a choice, which is not great.

I figured out the best way to work the touchscreen while driving and that is to operate it with your thumb while the other four fingers are grabbing the touchscreen from the top. Safest way for sure, as there is a lot of up and down swiping as well as pressing and while driving that can be difficult.

mackan73

Jan 23, 2021
Issues I found so far:

1) Keyless access does not work. According to my reseller it is a known SW fault that will be corrected in a later version.

2) Navigation and compass do often not start in the digital cockpit. I have no issue with the navigation window infotainment system.

3) Sometimes my user settings cannot load. It happens very seldom, and maybe it is connection issues towards the servers.

5) The media sound is sometimes much higher when starting the car, than it was when the car was stopped.

6) Voice control is sometimes triggered without saying "hola hola".

7) The park assist could need some improvements to make it easier to use. I wish it was possible to select type of parking, before parking slots are scanned.

Reactions: Mr Brightside

Tell

Staff member
Issues I found so far:

1) Keyless access does not work. According to my reseller it is a known SW fault that will be corrected in a later version.

2) Navigation and compass do often not start in the digital cockpit. I have no issue with the navigation window infotainment system.

3) Sometimes my user settings cannot load. It happens very seldom, and maybe it is connection issues towards the servers.

5) The media sound is sometimes much higher when starting the car, than it was when the car was stopped.

6) Voice control is sometimes triggered without saying "hola hola".

7) The park assist could need some improvements to make it easier to use. I wish it was possible to select type of parking, before parking slots are scanned.

5. Probably an automatic volume control that can be turned off. It's in mib2, sure it will be in the menus. If you like music it's irritating when the sound level changes, so you just turn it off. Mib2 slide to the left to reduce the effect. That's the speed dependent adjustment, mib2 infotainment manual below. Guess they kept that adjustment, don't have the mib3 unit.

Suspect it's under audio settings. Home speaker settings as per second image below, whatever in there may be it.

GALA adjustment also called Speed Dependent Volume Control (SDVC), Speed-sensitive Volume Control (SVC), Speed Compensated Volume (SCV)).

German wiki on the subject where the Gala comes from as mentioned on Vag mib2 screens:

Get that off and your sound won't keep going up and down as the car changes speed, assuming it's on. May be it's a perception that at the end of the journey the volume is different, but if it's defaulted to on then it will change the volume. I found in the Ateca with mib2 it was irritating since you just heard the volume go up as you increased speed on the main road out from home. Modern insulation you don't need it, or turn it up yourself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210128-144411.png
    Screenshot_20210128-144411.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Screenshot_20210128-144234.png
    Screenshot_20210128-144234.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 199

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
Re the parking lights- my first car was a 2002 Polo which was so basic it didn't even have central locking had the parking lights feature. It's been on every VAG product I've owned (and a 2007 Focus). I'm fairly sure that my dad's old Mk.3 Golf did it too, but I'm not entirely sure.

mackan73

Jan 23, 2021
5. Probably an automatic volume control that can be turned off. It's in mib2, sure it will be in the menus. If you like music it's irritating when the sound level changes, so you just turn it off. Mib2 slide to the left to reduce the effect. That's the speed dependent adjustment, mib2 infotainment manual below. Guess they kept that adjustment, don't have the mib3 unit.

Suspect it's under audio settings. Home speaker settings as per second image below, whatever in there may be it.

GALA adjustment also called Speed Dependent Volume Control (SDVC), Speed-sensitive Volume Control (SVC), Speed Compensated Volume (SCV)).

German wiki on the subject where the Gala comes from as mentioned on Vag mib2 screens:

Get that off and your sound won't keep going up and down as the car changes speed, assuming it's on. May be it's a perception that at the end of the journey the volume is different, but if it's defaulted to on then it will change the volume. I found in the Ateca with mib2 it was irritating since you just heard the volume go up as you increased speed on the main road out from home. Modern insulation you don't need it, or turn it up yourself.

In the audio settings there is a GALA adjustment, but I also found a setting for maximum start volume.
I have lowered its value and I will find out during the coming days if it helped.

Tell

Staff member
In the audio settings there is a GALA adjustment, but I also found a setting for maximum start volume.
I have lowered its value and I will find out during the coming days if it helped.

It's the Gala that you reduce to zero if you dont want the sound level linked to speed. Possibly the maximum sound level at start is your issue if touch the volume after you start off. That one isn't on mib2. That's your default sound level.

Sound level you can also mess up in mib2 if you touch the volume whilst navigation is speaking, you end up adjusting the navigation volume rather than the infotainment volume - that's just user error. You have to rebalance the navigation sound again once you do that. I guess mib3 will behave the same.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I can see that the voice control will work like the 'automated' voice systems on the Fonejacker TV series (Kayvan Novak - very funny). I bet the expletive at 1.02mins below has been used in the Leon Mk 4 cabin often :roflmao:
FoneJacker - Automated phone - YouTube

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
When we got our car, the dealer said that the voice control works best when you're logged in and the car can receive data from the internet. When it's not, the voice control is less comprehensive. Assuming that's the case, this is fine when the car can fully connect to the SEAT servers (white world globe on the top right hand corner of the screen) but, as has been reported elsewhere on the MK4 forum, the car will sometimes have (through no fault of its own) limited connectivity for days at a time (grey globe).

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Hello,

Seem to be issues with wireless CarPlay with various manufacturers. Probably not specific to Cupra/Seat.
I have mk3 cupra with wired CarPlay and that has occasional glitches too.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
That seems feasible. Other voice control systems rely on cloud technology - which is fine if you have a good connection.
Some of this tech stuff on the mk4 sounds a bit unreliable. Hopefully, it will be fixed before I'm in the market for a newer model.
I guess one of the advantages of this remote technology is that it can be improved over the air.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Interesting. How does that work?
As horse box indicated, the car likely sends the audio to the more powerful processing capabilities of the Cloud.
I'm not sure what technology Seat/Cupra are using, but as they previously partnered with Amazon to use the Alexa service, it might still be Alexa based?
Alexa certainly processes data in the cloud when it hears the wake word or phrase. So, it's likely that when you say Hola Hola data is sent to the cloud.
Even the words Hola Hola might be processed in the cloud for accuracy.
Some voice recognition is done on devices. I wondered whether Seat or their suppliers are using cloud technology,

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.