A little help on price of a new Leon please!!

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
Hi all,

Am about to give the go ahead on a new leon with the scrappage scheme but want to make sure it is a good deal (appears to be I think!).

We are looking at an S Emocion 105 1.9TDi @ £15150 minus £4140 for scrappage.

Bluetooth pack is included free, metallic paint we are paying extra for (possibly in a colour not native to S Emocion).

Total price we are looking at is £239 per month over 36months - just finding out what the balloon payment will be at the end.

Any advice - anything to look out for or to ask for? Anyone got a better deal elsewhere?

The car I am trading in is a '96 Ibiza GTi - ridiculously low miles but is riddled with car park dents and rust now - £4140 is coming up for almost 4 times what I would get anywhere else for it!

Any help is appreciated.

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd seriously reconsider if you want lowest powered engine... you'll soon look to do some power improving mods... why not fork out a little bit more and go for 2.0tdi? is difference that big?

just checked - SE 140 TDI is £16.940.... not too sure is it worth it for this money... if you can afford it then yes

Last edited:

Taipan

Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Hi all,

Am about to give the go ahead on a new leon with the scrappage scheme but want to make sure it is a good deal (appears to be I think!).

We are looking at an S Emocion 105 1.9TDi @ £15150 minus £4140 for scrappage.

Bluetooth pack is included free, metallic paint we are paying extra for (possibly in a colour not native to S Emocion).

Total price we are looking at is £239 per month over 36months - just finding out what the balloon payment will be at the end.

Any advice - anything to look out for or to ask for? Anyone got a better deal elsewhere?

The car I am trading in is a '96 Ibiza GTi - ridiculously low miles but is riddled with car park dents and rust now - £4140 is coming up for almost 4 times what I would get anywhere else for it!

Any help is appreciated.

I think you only get the 4140 scrappage on the Emocions so a bigger engine is going to cost quite a bit more

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
Well if you were able to negotiate a 10% disount with a dealer (at least one springs to mind) and get around £1000 for your trade in then you're talking a £2500 saving. You're getting a good deal by the sound of it, particularly as they're throwing in bluetooth. If we knock off the money you would get on a private sale of your Ibiza, you're still getting a saving of over £3000 which is 20%. I can see no flaws here.
With regards to the finance, I would shop around as dealers aren't always the most competitive. Look closely at APR and total amount paid as well as final balloon. There is room for negotiation on their rates as well, when I bought my FR they knocked 2% off the APR before I even started negotiating.

AnTDIony

Hi, I ordered a new car using the scrappage scheme a month ago and all I can suggest is that you just try pushing the dealer to see how much you can get away with, the worst they can do is say no and go back to your previous deal. The money you are getting off is a good deal but it's a manufacturers deal at any seat dealership. The dealership is giving you the free bluetooth to get your business so see if they can do any better to get the trade.
I know when I ordered my car some dealerships would give me a discount and some said they couldn't because I was using the scrappage scheme, it's worth shopping round. That said you are getting a special deal on the Ecomotions so not sure how much you can push on them, but as they say "If you don't ask, you don't get".
The same applies to the finance deals at the moment dealers do have a lower rate that you can get or check out bank loans as an option as most don't have a setup fee or administrative charge attached.
Just thought I'd throw my two pence worth in and good luck with the purchase.

Hi, I ordered a new car using the scrappage scheme a month ago and all I can suggest is that you just try pushing the dealer to see how much you can get away with, the worst they can do is say no and go back to your previous deal. The money you are getting off is a good deal but it's a manufacturers deal at any seat dealership. The dealership is giving you the free bluetooth to get your business so see if they can do any better to get the trade.
I know when I ordered my car some dealerships would give me a discount and some said they couldn't because I was using the scrappage scheme, it's worth shopping round. That said you are getting a special deal on the Ecomotions so not sure how much you can push on them, but as they say "If you don't ask, you don't get".
The same applies to the finance deals at the moment dealers do have a lower rate that you can get or check out bank loans as an option as most don't have a setup fee or administrative charge attached.
Just thought I'd throw my two pence worth in and good luck with the
purchase.

What people tend to forget when comparing rates is that HP gives you lots of additional protection under the 1974 Consumer Credit Act, banks loans don't. Also there is this myth that APR is a true reflection of rate, its not.

As for the car, my only advice would be to go for the diesel, it's quicker and much more flexible in "real world" driving, the residual value will be a hell of a lot better and you'll average around 30% more MPG with much lower road tax. Only downsides are that diesels are slightly noisier at slow speeds and tickover and the heaters take longer to warm up.

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
Thanks for the replies people - just a quickly

The car being traded is in mine, but the girlfriend will be paying for it - therefore its mainly going to be her driving so tweaks and power increase are out of the question!

The car is the S Emocion, not the planet friendly £17k Diesel Ecomotion

You say there is benefit in having HPI rather than a bank loan? - Could you clarify??

Thanks

Mark

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
Personaly I always prefer a bank loan over HP. With HP I dont like the fact that the car is not yours until you make the sign over payment after the HP is paid nad if one payment is missed they can take the car from you.
Also if you are comparing payment rates with HP against a loan make sure the amounts are the same and that things like a deposit are include in the HP price for comparison.
For example if you have loan for £10,000 which includes a £1,000 deposit but the HP may be for the £9,000 after deposit making the payments look less.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Thanks for the replies people - just a quickly

The car being traded is in mine, but the girlfriend will be paying for it - therefore its mainly going to be her driving so tweaks and power increase are out of the question!

The car is the S Emocion, not the planet friendly £17k Diesel Ecomotion

You say there is benefit in having HPI rather than a bank loan? - Could you clarify??

Thanks

Mark

ummmmm I don't want to pee on your party but as far as I can make out the rules of the scrappage scheme require a number of criteria to be met.

One of these is that "the new vehicle must be registered to the same keeper as the registered keeper of the vehicle to be scrapped"

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
ummmmm I don't want to pee on your party but as far as I can make out the rules of the scrappage scheme require a number of criteria to be met.

One of these is that "the new vehicle must be registered to the same keeper as the registered keeper of the vehicle to be scrapped"

Yes this is the case - it will be registered to me - insurers are aware that I am the registered owner but not the main driver of the vehicle. :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise