A pro panelbeater once told me...

RodneyA

FR crazy
Nov 14, 2008
South Africa
so a professional panelbeater once told me that polish is coarse... which could cause swirl marks?
and the wax compound is similar to of butter... in which it won't scratch the paint work.

can anybody confirm the above mentioned?

thanx,
RodneyA

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Polish is coarse and if used wrongly (especially with a polishing machine) then it can cause swirl marks. But generally it is not aggressive enough to cause swirling, it just removes a very fine amount of paint to give it a shine. A good polish will help remove swirl marks.

The wax analogy is a reasonable enough.

But (and there is always a but), many polishes have waxes in them, and many waxes have a little polish in them. Also many polishes have a little filler in them, to pack out the swirl marks.

RodneyA

FR crazy
Nov 14, 2008
South Africa
thanx so much people... this clarifys alot!

so if i'm not mistaken... wax shouldn't cause any swirl marks depending on the small amount of polish thats in it?

i would assume that getting a polishing glaze only means that the compound is coarse... as it actually removes swirl marks and revives the paint work.

thanx,
RodneyA

Rubbish Boy

There's a lot of crossover between products. When talking about wax, polish etc many over the counter products are both. For example Autoglym SRP is a polish, but it also contains a sealant/protection element that makes it an all in one, so gets used by many as a wax. You could generalise that anything with an abrasive in is a polish, but it's best to consider individual products and what they say they do.

A pure wax (as opposed to a cleaner wax or all in one) will have no abrasive content, will not remove any paint, and the product itself should not cause swirls. It will also not have any ability to restore paint that has scratches, swirls, or has oxidised. So it will need to be applied to good paint or you need to polish with another product first.

A machine polish will usually contain a diminishing abrasive that beaks down during the polishing process. As you work the polish, the abrasives get smaller and smaller, offering less cut and it will refine the finish as you work. A fine polish worked in this way will not cause swirls, it will remove them, but at the same time it will also remove paint. A coarse polish will also breakdown in the same way, but the coarser abrasives will often need finishing with a finer polish to remove any marring introduced by the coarser polish. Paint removal will also be faster.

A hand polish will generally have finer abrasives in, something like t-cut contains a non-diminishing abrasive, something like scratch-x contains a diminishing abrasive that needs to be worked thoroughly through it's diminishing stages.

So, a polish (in the context I have said above) will generally remove paint, can potentially introduce swirls if not used correctly, and should be used only when needed to restore the paint.
A wax (in the context I have used above) can be used often, as it won't remove paint, and provided your application technique and equipment is good, won't cause swirls or marring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
when i did clock/music box restoration the one old guy sat in the corner and mumbled all day about polishing being destructive and we wouldn't have done it in his day. lol. kept him going all day though :)

RodneyA

FR crazy
Nov 14, 2008
South Africa
@ Rubbish Boy - thanx a million for that valuable info!

now i had a better of whats what...and what to use actually.

thanx,
RodneyA

sneak

Hijicking the thread a little here - Is there a product that does a similar job to polish but without the abrasives?

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Erm, you can get some waxes/polishes with a high proportion of 'filler' to mask fine scratches, but it's only a temporary effect.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members