A1 Gp

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
Seems like a good format, proper racing for a change, hope Bernie is very worried as I think this will give F1 a run for it's money, bring back turbo charging bernie, well done brazil.

Stevo1

May 21, 2004
St Ives, Cambs
What with F1 slowing down next year, this could be in serious contention. Not bad for a first feature race I thought. Certainly wasn't short on action. A few of the drivers looked questionable to me but the format was good and it can only get better IMO. F1 needs to retain its image as the fastest motorsport. Bringing back turbocharging would be great, but me thinks its not going to happen! Losing 200bhp just like that though, is a massive step backwards both in terms of speed but more importantly entertainment.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
F2 Stu said:
Out of interest how is all this lot being paid for?

cant see any form of major sponsership as such

Ilyas Mustafa Galadari Group is one of the main backers, Saudi property constructors, developers. built that crazy sail hotel.

mainly Saudi money involved, other companies too, i believe Virgin have some kind of stake in it.

Plus the teams can have National sponsors. Uk for example sponsored by AC Ligting and Sky Sports.

Last edited:

sjtscott

Now with added Revo! :-)
Apr 15, 2003
London UK
Visit site
Well I went to the A1GP today and it was to put it simply fantastic! Two A1GP races and TGP in one meeting for £35 on the gate today talk about value for money.
Was standing right at the place where the russian driver lost it in the feature race and caused the safety car to come out. How the following drivers managed to avoid his car bouncing off the armo back backwards back on the track I'll never know.
Loud engine sound of the day definately the V12 Ferrari in the TGP race simply awesome!

I had no trouble getting in as I did a detour through Dartford using my local knowledge.. 1 hour door to door, getting out however was a f*cking nightmare completely free for all trying to exit to one little exit with minimum marshalled control.. it took and hour and a half just to get out of the car park to the road leading to the A20. And to top it all my bloody brake light switch has screwed up and permanently lit the brake lights and affecting the dbw throttle.. as we know seemingly a too common problem.. had to pull the brakelight fuse to stop the battery going flat.

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
F2 Stu said:
Found the sprint race dull, but the feature race showed promise.

Was'nt the nose to tail action I was led to expect tho.

I race in a strictly controlled category of kart....lap times in qualifying will be within a second for everybody in the grid....ironically rather than making the racing close ( which it sometimes is a group of 8 finished the final together at last months meet)..it sometimes has the opposite effect of spreading the field as any slight mistake is almost impossible to close back up again due to equal performance

orca

Aug 30, 2004
N Kent
www.bdmlr.org.uk
Enjoyed A1 atmosphere was great. I was on grid, with loads of CRAZY Dutch folk!!! Clogs and all.

Great show all around. Paid £29!! Def going next year. Took 1hr 15 min to get from car park to Medway towns...though that was good. I left a 18.30

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
It was a top day out for £30!!!

Parking was a nightmare as predicted, took 3 hours to get out of the field, should have stayed at the fair until everyone had left.

Had a cracking weekend marshalling at the A1GP.
Great to see top series race cars moving around on a race track as they should, without electronic interference.
They're not F1 fast, but they're fast enough, especially when you're stood 5 feet away from them doing over 160mph as I was on Friday!
Saturday & Sunday I was at Westfield where the Russian car spun in the main race. Bl***y glad it was my Incident Officer that went out with the snatch vehicle and not me. The car was in the middle of the track in a completely blind position (TV didn't show quite how scary that really was)!

TGPs are always good, and the large fields of GTs, Caterhams, Ginettas, Classic Ferraris and Formula Thuds (Fords) added to a great weekend.

Definitely on my list for marshalling again next year.

You guys really should take up marshalling. Close to the action, free entry, and marshals car park with much fewer cars. Took just 20 minutes to get out and on my way (would have been quicker if the police directing traffic had thought about it a bit better), and was home in just over an hour (just 25 minutes longer than getting there had taken).

Phill

ZBOYD said:
Phill

You marshalling next weekend?

Yep. Will finish off a busy 3 weekend run - Goodwood Revival (3 days), A1GP (3 days) and BTCC (2 days).

Not sure how well the BTCC will work on the GP circuit at Brands. They may get too strung out, and with such a small grid, that doesn't make for good spectating.

Most of the support races at the A1GP had 30-35 cars which worked well on the GP circuit.

Fez boy

Apr 23, 2003
Watford
Visit site
I have just watched this for the first time today :D

Sprint race was good and now the main race is about to start!

I like the idea of the power boosts F1 take note ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members