abf waterpump change

chuk

i suspect my water pump on my seat gti is gubbed symptoms are the top hose on the rad is roasting hot bottom one is a lot cooler as is the radiator when i bought the car it lay on my drive through the winter with no antifreeze(seller hadnt added any i assume) as the radiator hoses were solid unfortunately i :redface:didnt find this out till after the car had been started up and was screeching like a goodun, i assume that the pump impellors were damaged (read some posts on here about the pumps)when car was started up? car ran ok at a trackday at knochill for 2 sessions with temp gauge at halfway then on sessin 3 it went into the red and started overflowing out the expansion bottle is it hard to change the pump or could a amateur tackle it ,if i marked where the timing belt fits the relevant camsprockets etc and timing marks how difficult is it to do i will buy or borrow a workshop manual before attempting any work.

MAC MAC

Feb 28, 2009
DURHAM
Its not too hard you already have timing marks on the cam pulley and the crank but better to use the timing mark on flywheel you probably have to make a tool for cam belt tensioner and i think you will have to remove oil pump pulley to get waterpump out

chuk

Its not too hard you already have timing marks on the cam pulley and the crank but better to use the timing mark on flywheel you probably have to make a tool for cam belt tensioner and i think you will have to remove oil pump pulley to get waterpump out
when i went to change the oil+filter i could not get the sump plug off so i took it to a local mechanic my brother recomended and he welded a socket onto sumplug and got it off no probs, could be in luck as his apprentice has an 8v ibiza and when he drove it onto the ramp he said if he would be interested in the leather interior so if the pump is away ive got a good chance of doing a deal with the interior if he changes the cambelt and waterpump if thats why it is overheating? going to take out the thermostat next week and see if it runs cooler as it only a trackcar so i think if it is the pump i will get him to replace it if a deal can be done.:think:

MAC MAC

Feb 28, 2009
DURHAM
Sounds good do it. And save some money and time.plus if he does timing wrong he ows u a engine

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members