Adding a KeyFob

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
My car only came with 1 key. Standard Seat key. Obviously the car has central locking because it unlocks and locks all the doors and boot from the drivers side door lock and has the function to take down and bring up all the windows if held in the unlock/lock position. I assume some came with a key fob as well as I have seen them on ebay but mine did not. I've seen an ignition barrel and key with central locking buttons on Ebay for £20. Would this be my best option? And can I programme it myself with VCDS Lite or would I need the full VCDS?

What are my other options? Can I just buy a central locking kit off Ebay? Ie: just a keyless fob and the transmitter box and hook it up to my original system?

Something like this.

I've also been reading that I can get a 2/3 button flip up key fob with a blank blade, get it cut and use it for the "2 key procedure"??? Is this also an option?

Last edited:

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
*Update* I think I've found the answer, so I'll add my findings in the hope that it might help people in the future. It would also be a nice OEM Style job.

First buy a Genuine pre-owned or new, (your preference) Key Fob like this.

Then buy a blank key blade.

Have it cut and do the 2-Key programming method. Think there are guides on this forum somewhere. And Enjoy :)

Reactions: Rich.T

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Hi there. Don´t forget to ask for the transponder when buying the genuine key, without it the car won't recognize the key (even with the programming).

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
*Update* I think I've found the answer, so I'll add my findings in the hope that it might help people in the future. It would also be a nice OEM Style job.

First buy a Genuine pre-owned or new, (your preference) Key Fob like this.

Then buy a blank key blade.

Have it cut and do the 2-Key programming method. Think there are guides on this forum somewhere. And Enjoy :)

This is a common upgrade when the original key fob goes “Pete-tong” and been on the go for ages.
As mentioned, you will need a virgin glass transponder ID48 and get it coded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
I wouldn't replace the ignition etc, just get a spare key and code it. You will need the all important SKC which if you are lucky will be written down somewhere otherwise you need to get it extracted. What year is the car? I successfully extracted mine with a KKL lead from ebay and VAGTacho. This may not work on all years but did on my '04 plate. Once you have the SKC, you can program the new key with VCDS. Make sure the new key has a virgin transponder chip (ID48) which can be bought from ebay too. Key can be cut from your local key cutting place.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I bought a flip key with blank blade from eBay, then got a couple of blades cut online (supply photo of key for them to cut), bought a few blank ID48 transponders and finally after researching I bought a handheld coder.
Managed to code the transponder using my original + the handheld coder.
0ef19dda8b130c63c7255c7ac1cec91f.jpg

d962d60d1e293dc97e6856df52d96cdc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members