Adding paddles to DSG?

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
Has anyone (or know if you can ) add paddles to the Altea DSG with the necessary parts?

klawit - do you know the parts required?

I find I do not use the manual mode on the stick as you end up with your hand off the wheel for too long as with the tdi the rev range is so short.

Really would prefer the paddles, I drove a TT with paddles and it was much better as even in 'D' the paddles would override which is much quicker to downshift than using the lever.

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Has anyone (or know if you can ) add paddles to the Altea DSG with the necessary parts?

klawit - do you know the parts required?
Hi altea-ego,

there are a couple of threads at our board dealing with the same wish you expressed ...

but as soon as prices and efforts were mentioned, the interest was suddenly gone (they talked about adapting the VW GTI setup)

Starting with a different steering wheel (incl. airbag unit), persumably different ECU etc. which was said to be more than 1000 euros.

Since the LEON 1p TFSI was announced with "paddle shifting"
=> http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cf...Seat/seat-leon-fr-2.0-tfsi-with-dsg-gearshift
there might be a chance to retrofit those parts more easily.

I'll start a request at ours to find out if & how there are more current experiences.

sorry ... but that's all from me for now.
Klaus

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
thanks Klaus,

I am sure it could be done without changing too many parts. I would have thought the ecu could cope, but would just need something switching using vag-com etc.

I agree a new wheel may be required, but probably only as they won't sell the parts separately.

any info would be great.

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
I am sure it could be done without changing too many parts. I would have thought the ecu could cope, but would just need something switching using vag-com etc.

I agree a new wheel may be required, but probably only as they won't sell the parts separately.
Hi altea-ego,

as there is none of the bits & bytes in the Altea's ECUs I know of dealing with shifting paddles ... there sure enough is a way to set it in a GOLF V ...but still not relating to the DSG:

=> http://de.openobd.org/vw/golf_1k.htm#02

de.openobd.org said:
Steuergerät Codierung

STG 02 (Getriebeelektronik) auswählen
STG Codierung -> Funktion 07

00020 Direkt-Schaltgetriebe 02E ohne Tiptronic ... (DSG w/o Tiptronic)
00008 Automatisches 6-Gang Getriebe 09G ohne Tiptronic ... (autom. 6shift w/o Tiptronic)
08200 Automatisches 6-Gang Getriebe 09G mit Tiptronic ... (autom. 6shift with Tiptronic)
The new wheel: Have you had a closer look at the worldcarfan's page (my link)?
In that picture you can recognise a convexity in the wheel close to the +/- rockers which seems to be specifically for the paddle wheel.

greets ... Klaus

mgarnett

I am no car wizz but I would guess the shift-up/shift-down movements of the gear stick operate small switches that make contact for the small time that the lever is moved in that direction. Most of us have such switches on the wheel already (intended for the HiFi - eg vol up/down and channel up/down). Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to use these (disconnect from the HiFi) and instead have them parallel wired to the existing switches attached to the gear stick? Sure, to allow the up/down on the wheel to work, the stick would have to be pushed over to the up/down mid-position, but this is a small hard-ship (and would help prevent accidental paddle shifts)! Of course I would expect the above to invalidate your warrantee/insurance but from a pure 'it must be possible' point-of--view, my guess it would work. I have often wondered about just swapping the wires to the current up/down shift as they seem back-to-front to me!

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Sure, to allow the up/down on the wheel to work, the stick would have to be pushed over to the up/down mid-position...

You have to do this on paddle enabled cars anyway, but yeah if it came to it and for some unknown reason SEAT didn't bother to include the right area on the circuit board for DSG paddles .... fit a Golf/Leon/A3 steering wheel and parallel wire the selector box up to the paddles

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members