Advice on Cupra Ateca upcoming purchase

Apr 9, 2019
Essex
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a used Ateca Cupra, I'm viewing one on Thursday with C&S and Design Packs along with Pano Roof and Towbar. 69 plate. I just wondered if there was anything I should be looking out for?

Cheers
Hewey

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
There was an early recall to do with the front suspension (not sure whether they had cured it by the time the 69 plate came out). I would have thought the previous owner would have had it done if it was necessary.

The only other issue I've had with mine (and I've seen other people with the same problem) is that the cameras for the 360 view seem to go out of alignment. You can check this by parking in a space with lines and then checking that they look parallel on the screen.

Reactions: Terry99

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
How many miles? At 3 years old it shoulod have a brake fluid change. If it's 38-40k'ish miles (doubtful these days), a DSG oil chage should be done, regardless of age. Check the various ride modes - you'll be able to feel the change in firmness quite clearly. You might want to blag a sat nav update, as they're not routinely done of course.

Tell

Staff member
There was an early recall to do with the front suspension (not sure whether they had cured it by the time the 69 plate came out). I would have thought the previous owner would have had it done if it was necessary.

The only other issue I've had with mine (and I've seen other people with the same problem) is that the cameras for the 360 view seem to go out of alignment. You can check this by parking in a space with lines and then checking that they look parallel on the screen.
360 / Top View is sensitive to jet washing so can move the camera(s) if given a good blast. Best not to jet wash the cameras in the first place. You dont know what the previous owner has been up to or the dealer. Mine are fine on a regular Ateca when it was offered as an option. Haven't moved.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Where are the cameras? I've jet washed mine a few times with (thus far) no ill effects.

Tell

Staff member
Four which you can damage. Front, back and under the wing mirrors. Jet washing them can push / move them in the mount.

Screenshot_20221019-082447.png

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
360 / Top View is sensitive to jet washing so can move the camera(s) if given a good blast. Best not to jet wash the cameras in the first place. You dont know what the previous owner has been up to or the dealer. Mine are fine on a regular Ateca when it was offered as an option. Haven't moved.
I'm reckoning it's software rather than hardware. Both side cameras skewed round about 20 degrees in the same direction, so they were still parallel to each other but most definitely not parallel to the sides of the car.

Tell

Staff member
I'm reckoning it's software rather than hardware. Both side cameras skewed round about 20 degrees in the same direction, so they were still parallel to each other but most definitely not parallel to the sides of the car.
I suspect you could physically move them if you stuck your thumb on them.... won't try. I'll have a look when I go out to see whether they are mounted as I recall. That's why they warn about jet washing so they aren't move out of position. Blastered in, or perhaps rotated.

They shouldn't really go out of alignment on software unless the memory gets corrupted one way or another. I noted all my calibration adjustments down once in case they got corrupted by a retrofitter 🙄.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
I think it would be unusual if either the front (which I found) or the rear / reversing cameras were to be knocked out of alignmemt by a domestic jet wash (commercail maybe). I think it's an abundance of caution from SEAT. The mirror mounyed ones, maybe, but they're not in a position where I'd typically focus a jet on.

Tell

Staff member
The other one that is possible is they do a firmware update but don't reinstall the calibration figures. I could see a dealer making a pigs ear of that or zapping that area of memory.

Looking at the exploded diagram of the wing mirror the camera module is bolted in so suspect it's rigid, no turning. The 360 / Top View as we know is done by re-projecting the image from the cameras. Fourier transform to tug and twist the four images into different views. Calibration parameters get messed up I'd say by the dealer.

Still perfect at this end 👍.... don't personally use a jet wash on the car. All we ask is for good painted lines to park in 😉. Not always as good as they can be. The block paved brick ones at say Lidl get grubby. Saves a lot of faffing around parking.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.