advice on spending £28 for 4x 40mm lowering springs from eBay before paying big money

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
I really don't understand why people buy springs only for golf mk4 platform car's for £100+, a whole coil over kit could be had for £180.

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
R33f - you obviously haven't read this thread mate. I am buying cheap springs to check i like the feel on a 35mm drop. If I do I will resell the springs and buy a £300 Shock and spring kit.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
R33f - you obviously haven't read this thread mate. I am buying cheap springs to check i like the feel on a 35mm drop. If I do I will resell the springs and buy a £300 Shock and spring kit.

Theres no way a set of cheapy springs is going to be anything llike a decent shock and spring set, seems a bit of a waste of money spending £50 on some springs £100 to fit them then £60 for wheel alignment?

Thats £210 wasted?

You'd be better off photoshopping it for free if you just want to see how it looks lower

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
Well i aint actually guna pay £100 to get them fitted might know someone who cud help do it for me on the cheap or for a beer.

is wheel alignment completely necessary?

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Well i aint actually guna pay £100 to get them fitted might know someone who cud help do it for me on the cheap or for a beer.

is wheel alignment completely necessary?

Depends if you want your wheels pointing in the same direction :cartman:

You should prob look into fitting new top mounts and bearings to as I expect the ones on there are past there best.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay

The feel between eibachs and a cheap spring set is immense trust me i have been there over the years ;)

ScoobyJawa

Achtung!
Oct 2, 2002
Liphook
Visit site
I can't see the point of doing it twice at all, are you bonkers?

I had Eibachs on my Focus ST and on numerous cars before IMHO they are the most consistently good springs.

And yes you will need alignment, when I did them on the ST holy crap did it throw everything out in a BIG way!

I say just get the decent shocks and springs, if you don't like it shove it back to standard and flog em, saves all that palava you're looking at doing!

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
I can't see the point of doing it twice at all, are you bonkers?

I had Eibachs on my Focus ST and on numerous cars before IMHO they are the most consistently good springs.

And yes you will need alignment, when I did them on the ST holy crap did it throw everything out in a BIG way!

I say just get the decent shocks and springs, if you don't like it shove it back to standard and flog em, saves all that palava you're looking at doing!

I am asking if this is a good idea, because I can see what 35mm drop is like on my car before i throw £200-£300 at it, thought it would cost £30-£50 max didnt realise it would need wheels aligning

And you idea is as bad as mine if you think mine is bad, cos whether I go back to standard or but good shock and springs on if i dont like it its all guna need doing again anyway.

gemini

Feb 7, 2010
Budapest, Hungary
I really don't understand why people buy springs only for golf mk4 platform car's for £100+, a whole coil over kit could be had for £180.
as mentioned they are cheap for a reason.
I was thinking about to buy them earlier, and I am happy that here I was told not to do so.

ScoobyJawa

Achtung!
Oct 2, 2002
Liphook
Visit site
I am asking if this is a good idea, because I can see what 35mm drop is like on my car before i throw £200-£300 at it, thought it would cost £30-£50 max didnt realise it would need wheels aligning

And you idea is as bad as mine if you think mine is bad, cos whether I go back to standard or but good shock and springs on if i dont like it its all guna need doing again anyway.

Only trying to save needless spending - gawd dunno why we bother!

Yeah and who's to say you wouldn't do the drop, like it, then do the expensive option, find its completely different in ride to what standard or the cheap drop is and then still return it to standard coz you hate it? ;)

Why don't you just try and get a ride in someones car who has the suspension your thinking of? (and see what it looks like) And plenty of pics around to see what the drop will look like as well............

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
I might just do this. The whole reason I started this thread ot to see what people thought about the idea of testing the water before jumping in.

And the out come is that Im probably better off going straight for the shocks and springs set up.

Feb 28, 2010
Southampton
Good lad!!! JFDI (Just F*cking do it) this comment has also led me to spank out ALOT on my car getting it track ready when I said id mod it over a year rather than 2 months!! EEEK! but its SO worth it!! :D

If you do the suspension carefully it "shouldnt" be too far out - I was lucky and my wheels were only 2mm, but still I thought it would be ALOT worse as a small pot hole can put the alignment out anyways.

Good luck with it - get the proper springs, and dont be fooled into thinking £180 for coilies is a good idea! Pay once for good stuff, not several times over for cheap / nasty stuff.

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
Good lad!!! JFDI (Just F*cking do it)

get the proper springs, and dont be fooled into thinking £180 for coilies is a good idea! Pay once for good stuff, not several times over for cheap / nasty stuff.

:p

Ye definitely, Shocks and spring definitely seem like the more educated route with my budget. I was tempted to get cheapy springs to test the ride height as Im finding it hard to imagine but looks like i am guna have to get my wheels realigned after every suspension change so maybe not maybe i will just risk going straight for the 35mm drop.

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
a 35mm drop isnt really that extreme so you will be fine. Everytime you touch the suspension, get the allignment checked. It doesnt cost loads.

Just make sure you get a quality part and all will be fine.

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
right back onto this subject again as when we were talking about this last time i ended up have to shed out money for something i cant remember what, anyway...

I am back to wondering what drop to go for as i want to go LOW but only as low as i can without having problems with speed bumps, and speed bumps with a full car (with an LCR kit on)

can you guys give me experience with your drops and speed bumps or other things that catch you out.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.