Advice Please

STURGI

We are thinking of changing my wifes car early next year and the Altea is on our list. I have read most of the comments here and have a few concerns but I would be interested to hear what the car is like to live with day to day. We will be going for the 2.0 petrol as she won't do enough miles for a diesel. Oh and we will go for a year old car.

Cheers

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
Hi Ian
I've now had my Altea for 15 months and clocked up 30,000 miles and based on that mileage i can honestly say it is one of the best cars i have owned, not the quickest but certainly the most comfortable. (i'm 6ft 2" so believe me i know what an uncomfortable car can be like.) like any car you will see the odd grumble but i don't think there has been any serious problems. Running costs have been reasonable with only normal servicing and tyres required so far.
i have only had two faults, a boot lock that stopped working and a reversing sensor that popped back into the bumper both fixed under warranty without problem. Go for the sport model and you will have made an excellent choice.

Paul

agynjo

I've only had mine a few weeks, and I'm still really pleased with it. I've had some half-decent cars over the years (Audi TT, Lotus Elise x2, Exige, Cooper S x2, Focus RS etc...) and the Altea is an excellent all-rounder.

Personally, I would go for a 2.0 TDi over a petrol model. Yes the diesel will cost a bit more to purchase, but it has much more grunt, will hold it's money much better, and you'll find it a lot easier to sell too. I bought an ex-demo with 1500 on the clock for under 14k, and if you want 16" alloys you can get them for 13k. A petrol model may be another grand cheaper, but it may be a false economy in a few years time....

Tell

Staff member
I would go for the 2.0 TDI, it's not a question of running costs, it about how it drives and diesels drive very well. Agreed with Agynjo above.

I'm totally happy with my car and if I was to rate it I would put the seating position and comfort at the top, the power of the 2.0 TDI engine, the looks, the handling and the space. You need to think at 17" wheels, I have them, you get a firm ride, but then you get a firm ride in the sports in anycase. I'm now use to the ride and enjoy it.

STURGI

Cheers for the comments, I have to say we took the new Civic out for a test drive and that is one funky car. Not sure the "older" Civic drivers will like it too much.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.