Aftermarket hid kit, lights flickering

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Hello all,

A couple of days ago I fitted an aftermarket hid kit which I bought from euro car parts. I fitted the kit with no issues and tested the lights out by switching the lights on with only the ignition switched on (engine off) everything worked fine with no bulb out warning light on the dash.

However that night when I started the car, the lights took a few seconds to come on after being switched on and both headlights were flickering very badly to a appoint where the car was not driveable, I also had the bulb out warning.

Switched the engine off and both lights stopped flickering and warning light on dash went out immediately. Restarted the engine and the warning came back on and lights started flickering again.

I know that the kit I bought did not come with the canbus resistor but this can be bought separately. Am I right in thinking that the canbus resistor will prevent the lights from flickering etc????

I have for now removed the hids and replaced with the halogen bulbs.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland

Yes it will but it will also blind everyone and get you a £100 fine. I have tried hids and leds and have gone back to a good brand bulb. Don't chase what you can't have with your current light setup.
Oh and still won't stop the flicker as that is part of the bulb test these cars do

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brimfull

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Yes it will but it will also blind everyone and get you a £100 fine. I have tried hids and leds and have gone back to a good brand bulb. Don't chase what you can't have with your current light setup.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Thanks

Jester

Aug 17, 2018
I know that the kit I bought did not come with the canbus resistor but this can be bought separately. Am I right in thinking that the canbus resistor will prevent the lights from flickering etc????

What you need is a kit that is Canbus compatible which will stop you getting the flickering and bulb out warning, and avoid the need to plumb in any other separate parts.
You also need to ensure you get H7R HID bulbs, not H7. The former have some of the bulb painted to stop weird light output due to being in the reflector. Also they output less light than the non-R H7s they won't blind anyone.

Mine are colour temp 4300k, look like a nice bright OEM bulb setup but give out significantly more light than filament bulbs. No bulbs errors or flickering, and everyone I've asked says it's not blinded them and wouldn't have guess they even HIDs.

You can have what you want, just need to buy the correct kit. Got mine from HIDS4U, was £60 but work perfectly.

Reactions: Brimfull