Air Con Service

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
Hi,

I did do a bit of searching but couldn’t find anything relating to air con servicing. My Leon FR is due an air con service (at a cost of £149!) and although I have a servicing plan this is not included, as I was already aware.

My car is coming up to two years old and Seat have said I need to have the air conditioning serviced to keep it working properly. My question is do I really need it done? Will it invalidate my warranty if I leave it a bit longer until the summer? And do I need to get it done at a Seat dealer?

Thanks in advance!

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I would hazard a guess they’ve chanced it hoping you agree.

Does your AC feel less effective? Do you run climate control, if on your model, daily?

Most manufacturers recommend it, but unless you’ve seen a serious dip in quality I’d wait. But you may want to check
If it’s part of your liabilities if the car is on finance/lease etc.

My car is 5 years old April, never had it done never faulted the level of air conditioning. I think if it did dip off, I’d try a recharge or gas change first, half that price quoted or less!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
I would hazard a guess they’ve chanced it hoping you agree.

Does your AC feel less effective? Do you run climate control, if on your model, daily?

Most manufacturers recommend it, but unless you’ve seen a serious dip in quality I’d wait. But you may want to check
If it’s part of your liabilities if the car is on finance/lease etc.

My car is 5 years old April, never had it done never faulted the level of air conditioning. I think if it did dip off, I’d try a recharge or gas change first, half that price quoted or less!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking they were trying their luck!

The air con always cools the car very quickly and has never missed a beat, driving down to the south of France last year in 30 degrees plus it worked fine.

I do have it on most days, in the winter to demist and in the summer to cool the car. But climate control is set to Auto at a constant 18-20 degrees. I hardly push it to its limits.

I think I’m going to leave it until it actual feels like it’s being less effective, at least 5 years by the sounds of it. Thanks!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Wow! £149 sounds a lot for an air con service. What does the service entail for that price? Sounds like a good money maker for the dealer.

Whether or not the air con service needs to be done comes up fairly regularly on other VAG forums and the general consensus seems to be ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’.

VW dealers are always pushing to get VW owners to have the air con service undertaken. As far as warranty is concerned; with VW, I’m pretty certain that the general warranty on the car would still be valid, although I suppose it’s possible that VW may decline any warranty claims on the AC system if you don’t get the air con service carried out at VW’s recommended time interval. However, if the air con service is a recommendation rather than a requirement, then would the manufacturer be able to decline a warranty claim if you didn’t have the air con service?

Maybe there are forum members who’ve had issues with their air con within the warranty period but they hadn’t had the recommended Seat air con service. Hopefully they can comment on whether or not their repairs were sorted at Seat’s expense under warranty.

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
Wow! £149 sounds a lot for an air con service. What does the service entail for that price? Sounds like a good money maker for the dealer.

Whether or not the air con service needs to be done comes up fairly regularly on other VAG forums and the general consensus seems to be ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’.

VW dealers are always pushing to get VW owners to have the air con service undertaken. As far as warranty is concerned; with VW, I’m pretty certain that the general warranty on the car would still be valid, although I suppose it’s possible that VW may decline any warranty claims on the AC system if you don’t get the air con service carried out at VW’s recommended time interval. However, if the air con service is a recommendation rather than a requirement, then would the manufacturer be able to decline a warranty claim if you didn’t have the air con service?

Maybe there are forum members who’ve had issues with their air con within the warranty period but they hadn’t had the recommended Seat air con service. Hopefully they can comment on whether or not their repairs were sorted at Seat’s expense under warranty.
I know right, I queried it and they said it’s due to new cars having environmentally friendly ‘F gas’ In the air conditioning system which is more expensive to replace.

The service includes, in the dealers words: “It is cleaned out, re gassed, (bacteria build up over time) re charged and we carry out pressure tests to ensure no leaks present”

Hopefully as you say, someone can comment on whether it affects a warranty claim related to the air con. But as far as I’m concerned as long as I’m kept cool on a hot day and the windows are mist-free in the winter I am happy. And £150 better off!

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Copied from the Seat site,
AIR CONDITIONING REFRESH
£29

AIR CONDIITONING SERVICE
£79

AIR CONDITIONING SERVICE (MODEL YEARS 2017 ONWARDS)
£139

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016
The most common form of servicing is to check and recharge the the gas. The two ( high and low) charging points can be seen on the pipework in the engine compartment. They are like schrader valves.

Another common problem can be smells coming from the air ducts. This can be cured by setting the air con to recirculate air, spraying anti bacterial aerosol into the cabin and shutting the door.

This is a link to an RAC explanation of regassing

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/car-maintenance/air-con-regassing/

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members