Air vent surrounds????

v5r

I fancy brightening up the interior of my TDI sport a bit. has anyone fitted the airvent surround kits or the gear lever surround??? Has anyone got any pictures of them fitted? Are they worth the money?

I like the sound of the brushed aluminium ones the best

also is there any dealers that will mail order as my nearest is 100miles away...

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
speak to darren at willoughby ( see parts section) he will post em, and discount em.

i had mine fitted by the dealer when i bought the car new

gazjones

if had the gear surround on my old car along with the air vents and i have the gear surround on my new car gear surround is simple enought to do but the airvents atre trickey especially the middle ones you have to get the whole vent out of the dash which is a bit fiddely but not imposible

x_hale

Jamie...
Oct 23, 2005
Cyprus
I bought both the air vent surrounds and the gear surround. I gave mine to the dealer to fit. Still waiting to pick my car up from my dealer, as still not ready so can't give you any pics of mine. i went for the brushed aluminium effect ones.

Should look nice!

v5r

x hale.

sounds good to me. post some pics when you get the car back..

btw how much was the fitting??

v5r

sted

random wierdo
gazjones said:
if had the gear surround on my old car along with the air vents and i have the gear surround on my new car gear surround is simple enought to do but the airvents atre trickey especially the middle ones you have to get the whole vent out of the dash which is a bit fiddely but not imposible
#dunna i cant get the middle ones out so ive got a half done dash lol

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
Did you do a search ? Im nearly sure there was a thread about this before, with pics and all.
Ive had the chrome vent and gear surround fitted, about £65 inc. Labour , well worth it IMO.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I fitted the chrome versions to my car and the centre ones are a real pain to fit. I ended up destroying the original rings to remove them.

When I bought the car my dealer advised against fitting them as he reckoned they keep falling off in hot weather. Mind you I was asking for them as a freebie! I took a lot of care when fitting mine and they have survived for over a year with no problems and really do transform the look of the interior. The gear lever surround is dead easy to fit.

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Me and Mike_OBD made a cool discovery getting the middle ones out... We called it "Vent Casting" :D

Just get 2 strong peices of wire and bend them into a hairpin-ish shape. Use it as a 'hook' to feed the wire round the vent slats. When you get the other end thru, give yourself plenty of wire to pull with good grip. DO THIS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE VENT - Make sure it comes out straight at all costs!

You can either do this or un-screw the centre console - easy for those with manual AC, but a bugger for Climate users as 2 torx screws are underneath the climate box which require a wrench-style screwdriver...

Then pull really really (really!) hard.... The vent will pop out of its socket about 1cm towards you... Now stop pulling! You can then take the ring off and re-plug it in.

When your plugging them in - its useful to take apart the glove box as you can just see the side of them. Use a Torx T-20 to undo all the screws.

gazjones

i found that if you get the ring off then turn the air vent around so its backwards the clips close inwards when pulling it out backwards and come out alot faster then trying against the clips

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I'm trying to fit the gear lever surround at the moment and I'm having no luck with it. I've got the gaitor and the current surrounds loosened, but I've got no idea how the hell I get the current surrounds off. The diagram isn't too clear. Do I have to use a screwdriver or something to release the clips and slide the surround off? It doesn't help that it's peeing down and getting dark. :doh:

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
From memory, you have to slide the existing trim sideways then pull it forwards out of the slots. However, there is a small 'nib' on the trim which locates into one of the slots and stops it sliding. You have to insert a screwdriver tip or similar to ease the nib out of the slot while you push sideways.

Hope this makes sense.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I think I know what you mean. There appears to be 3 of these nibs in the rear part of the trim. I'll have another go at that shortly. I did manage to get the front part (ashtray side) off and the new part halfway on. It needs a lot of strength to do this!

gazjones

yea rear one is bit harder but all it does is pull up out of the mounting however you do it i used a key on either end as i fittened mine in my dealers car park lol

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I'll give it a try tomorrow when there's some daylight (that's if it's not as gloomy as today was....). Got the front one on after realising there was a small piece of random plastic stopping the chrome from sliding right on. So my dad cut it down with a blade and it went on no problem.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
The daylight definitely helped. I managed to get the rear part off (with one broken clip, not bad going) and the new chrome part on. :)

Now for the air vent surrounds when I go to collect them in a few days!

It certainly brightens up the interior a bit. Breaks up the black plastic.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise