Airbag went off

grq

Giggity
Jun 9, 2005
I had a little bump at the weekend and hit a kerb causing the passenger side airbag to go off.

What parts do I need apart from a new passenger seat? Knock sensor in B pillar and airbag ECU? I have been informed that I can get the airbag ECU reflashed, is this possible?

I'm unsure whether the seatbelt pre-tensioners have went off, if they have new seat belt mechanism too?

Cheers
Grant

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Not entirely sure about reflashing the airbag ECU - seem to recall when Seat did some warranty work on my Mk4 (back in 2003, yikes!) they said the airbag ECU has to be replaced if it's been triggered.
But as we know, dealers don't always know what they're talking about....

Apr 1, 2007
the air bag ecu and seat belt pretentions can be reflashed, my car was writted off recently ( 08 ibiza FR ), and i kept the engineers report, it was 870 quid for the re-flash and one new pre-tentioner (no airbags went off - but part of same system so still need doing). admited the garage probley put rates up as it was an insurance job.

Last edited:

JoeF

May 13, 2007
Bolton
Give this company a try mate

http://www.airbagsforsale.com/identify?bm_make=SE&bm_model=IBI&bm_mark=3&prodsubmit=Search

They quoted me some very competitive prices when I was looking for an airbag kit for an Ibiza that I was repairing a few years back. I was also told by another company that I could get away with keeping the origional seat, having the airbag replaced and the seat cover re-machined.

how much did you hae to pay to get the seat remachined? and where did u get it done?

Ive done exactly what grant has, not sure wether i can get new airbag fitted and reset ecu thing and tensioners then stitch seat up

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Ive replied to your PM.

Some airbag ECUs can have crash data reset but I dont think yours will be able to. So the ECU will have to be replaced as it has a crash sensor in it which will have been activated.

The seat belt pyrotechnics are purely mechanical so once its gone off thats it, the reel needs to be replaced.

Your steering wont work as the airbag ECU has crash data stored in it I would have thought.

The thing to remember about the seat is SEAT have stiched it in a specific way with a certian type of thread. This si done so the cover rips in a specific way when the airbag goes off, if this is not done correctly there is a good chance the airbag wont deploy correctly.

Tracser

I have done a similar thing, have a new airbag and pretensioner on order from airbagsforsale.com....very competitive prices. Just need to sort the airbag ecu.

Can anybody tell me where this is located?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.