Aircon and heater doesn't work

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I'm thinking that when the engine blocks and cylinder heads are cast that the sand is not removed fully, that's assuming that the castings are still made this way. Also wondering if they use any wax in the process.

SeatFr148

Mar 19, 2018
So celebrations came to a quick halt! 15miles later and there is only cold air coming from the vents! I now feel like driving this car in to a tree!

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
So celebrations came to a quick halt! 15miles later and there is only cold air coming from the vents! I now feel like driving this car in to a tree!
The new matrix will be with you soon enough. And now you've done the job once, you'll be able to get the new one in place in no time at all.
And you won't need to drain all the coolant this time, just pop the firewall hoses off and you'll be reet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SeatFr148

Mar 19, 2018
Cheers Scott for the motivational words.

Do I decided to have another go at it over the weekend as the heating started working again over the weekend but I would say at about 50% capacity.

So I removed everything ha nd done another flush, the heating was as warm as when the car was new when I was running it with the flush in the system. I then drained everything and filled with new coolant. And to my amusement the heating didn’t work again????? Can it maybe be a airlock somehow? The stuff that came out the second flush was clear apart from a little bit of rust granules.

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016

Do I decided to have another go at it over the weekend as the heating started working again over the weekend but I would say at about 50% capacity.

So I removed everything ha nd done another flush, the heating was as warm as when the car was new when I was running it with the flush in the system. I then drained everything and filled with new coolant. And to my amusement the heating didn’t work again????? Can it maybe be a airlock somehow? The stuff that came out the second flush was clear apart from a little bit of rust granules.
I had the same thing initially. I think I had most success after leaving a crushed up dishwasher tablet in water inside the matrix for a long time (maybe even overnight, can't remember now). I'm sure that gave me a few months of heat.

It is possible there is a slight airlock in the matrix. I would drive the car at high RPM to try to spin the water pump faster and force more coolant at a higher pressure through the matrix. You might find it starts to heat up a bit. At least enough to get you by until the new matrix arrives.

But, I think once these matrixes start to get bits or crud in them, any attempt to flush them for a permanent fix is futile. Any blockages that exist will just block up even quicker next time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK

How are you bleeding the system ?
Personally I still use the old school method.

From cold - remove expansion tank cap - fill to correct level.
Start car - cap still off - allow water to circulate and watch for level dropping & bubbles ( top up if reqd )
When level starts to rise - replace expansion tank cap.

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Couple of questions.
1. I if i just pull the hoses off at the bulkhead I won't dump all the coolant out on the floor? I'll just need enough to refill it.
2. To get the glovebox out do I just remove the screws around the edge and drop it down, can the media unit be left connected?

Cheers,

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
The bulkhead hoses are lower than the expansion tank, so you will lose a lot of coolant. Good excuse to change it anyway.

Just looked at an old photo. You can actually get to the matrix without removing the glovebox!
ee420c3bed95a140c6fd3d89bd4aad26.jpg

Last edited:

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
All done, took about 3 hours including finding tools and a test drive as it wasn't heating up with no load on it. All back together and no leaks at full temperature.

Got the heater matrix out without removing the glove box, just need to remove the air distributor and the blower motor to get enough clearance.

Got loads of scale out as soon as the lower pipe came off. Ordered a new heater matrix yesterday morning and it arrived by lunchtime knowing that i could return it if that wasn't the issue.

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
You don't even need to remove the blower motor. Just one bolt holding on the air distributor which you can get out of the way fairly easily.
Reckon you'll have the new one fitted in under an hour.

As mentioned, I had a go at driving the car at high revs for a while to raise the water pump pressure around the system.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

peterek77

Jan 6, 2018
Hi Guys. Similar issue with my 13reg 2.0tdi with 40k on the clock, no heating since last Friday. Upper bulkhead hose is hot and the lower one only warm-ish so looks like blocked heater matrix.

Does anyone know the heater matrix part number?

Cheers

Reactions: Dan Mansfield

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Just go on something like Eurocarparts and put in your reg. I got the right part that way

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I replaced the heater matrix on my wife's FR this weekend which was showing symptoms of no heat in the cabin, took me around 2 hours with an additional 30 mins getting the top coolant pipe clip back on properly... Total costs £120 of for the matrix and some replacement coolant.

Suffice to say the job would have been a lot harder without all the info here, so thank you all for sharing.

KingCFC

Oct 12, 2017
hey guys.

I'm having similar issues that all of you have been experiencing. currently running a flush in my car, however doesn't seem to making any improvements. this is the most comprehensive guide I've seen at replacing the matrix on these without having to rip the dash apart. just a couple of questions, how did you empty the old coolant? how did you have seat the new seals? what brand of matrix did you buy?

Thank you in advance

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
I ended up buying a carpet cleaner (wet vac), which was great at getting the majority of the coolant out without much mess. Also came in handy with a small baby in the house!

Before I bought that, I just removed a lower radiator hose, although due to the complexity of the coolant system and charge cooler, you won't be able to drain it completely like that.

Didn't need to fit any new seals (other than the ones which come in the matrix). A little wiggle and a push will see these seated fine.

I just got a generic branded matrix. At the end of the day, these aren't exactly technically advanced pieces of equipment!
No issues with mine in the 2+ years since fitting it.

KingCFC

Oct 12, 2017
Did you just pull off the bottom hose and suck the rest of from there?

Ok. good man. I'll get one ordered and give it a shot. This guide has inspired me/given me confidence you can do it on the driveway.

Cheers

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
When using a wet vac, I sucked it directly out of the coolant reservoir, and undid a small hose at the top end of the engine.

KingCFC

Oct 12, 2017
When using a wet vac, I sucked it directly out of the coolant reservoir, and undid a small hose at the top end of the engine.

yeah i might try it this way as the bottom radiator hose is difficult to get to

KingCFC

Oct 12, 2017

when using this method does the expansion tank refill when you suck the coolant out?