Aircon compressor: Should it make a whirring sound?

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
For a few months, my engine (Ibiza FR, remapped PD130) has been making an intermittent "whirring" sound that rises and falls with the engine revs. It's not a loud noise, but I'm definitely not imagining it. Also, it seems to come and go fairly randomly every couple of minutes.

Today, whilst stuck in a traffic queue, I tried holding the revs at about 1500 rpm and pushing the "ECON" button on the climate control. The whirring noise instantly stopped. When I pushed the button again the whirring started again after a few seconds. I don't know why I haven't thought of trying this before. :doh:

On my way home from work today, I tried running it in "ECON" mode all the way, and the fuel economy was massively better. Previously, I've only ever noticed a tiny difference.

So I'm beginning to think there might be something wrong with my aircon compressor. Should the aircon compressor be silent, or is it normal for it to make a slight "whirring" noise?

Also, what sort of percentage difference do you find "ECON" mode makes to your fuel economy? In the past, I'm sure it's made no more than about 5% difference, but the drive I've just done was about 20% better than it has recently been.

(I'll be away watching fast, loud pointy things at Fairford over the weekend, so apologies if I don't respond to any replies until Sunday!)

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
sure its not a pulley or a pretentioner or maybe a water pump fault?

as revs ect will differ when aircon is switched on and off.

does your aircon work good? may just need recharging or some more oil in the compressor!

nickibizaCUPRA

mk3 CUPRA hell yeah!
Oct 15, 2005
crawley
i wouls defo say a/c compressor, my old mk4 cupra 1.8t did this and it was soooooooo f*****g annoying! mine was quite loud though, just did the same as you and ran it with econ mode on! also if u turn the heater on then off u can hear it start and stop! seen this on a few mk ibiza's and the new polo gti too!

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
wont a recharge and more compressor oil sort this out??

hey nick will have to go for a beer soon matey :beer:

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
oh my god im not the only person with this!!! ive taken it to the garage 3 times with the noise, 2 times they have inspected it and the first i paid £100 or somin for an aircon service and its still bloody there, im taking it back with the noise again to get them to rip it out and put a new bloody compressor in under warranty im sick of it!!!

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
yeh me 2 although it does sound like there is a problem so why not get it covered under warranty?! :) i just need to take it to the garage when its at its worst noise level! lol

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
I would get it sorted, had the Aircon compressor changed on my last octy vrs under warranty at 58K of a 60 k warranty along with a couple of other bits, apparently the clutch unit was about to explode into a million tiny pieces.....cost would have been £1500+vat if it had happened 2k later!!!!! so the service manager told me

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
Clutch

Sorry not the clutch you are thinking of, the Aircon has an electronic clutch to enable it to engage and disengage the aircon compressor when this is going it first starts to whirr or screech on startup depending on which bit is about to fail...this unit IS covered by warranty.

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
I may just go for a drive now, get the noise and take it to the garage and make them tell me where is a problem and they MUST sort it!

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Right... DONE!

Drove around, got the noise, left the engine running at the garage....Went and got service man (who already knows there is a problem but couldn't prove it last time) who went and got the Head Engineer who said there IS A PROBLEM!! :) woo!

I've booked it in on the 1st as that's the earliest and they are going to replace the compressor! Although he said they won’t give the car back with the new compressor until they know it’s that, that has fixed the noise!

Bloody hope it is!!

Just have to wait now!!

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Right well i had the car back and it was still makin the noise even with a brand new compressor put in under warranty, now they are certain its some heater motor which is located in the dashboard somewhere so they are going to take all of that out and replace that! Hopefully that will solve the probelm!!

Anyone know what they are replacing? Im just letting them get rid of the noise, also isit normal to take out the entire dashboard? haha cos he said they have to pull out the whole lot to get to it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.