leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
First off, forgive me if this has already been posted, but from the searches I've done it just seems to be people asking questions about the interior sensor button and various scattered info about the alarm system etc... thought it would be better to have it all in one place!

Well, I've just spent about half an hour sitting in my LCR working out what combinations of key fob presses / interior sensor button (on the drivers side door pillar (B pillar) next to your bum!) does what, and I thought before I forgot, I'd write it down, and may as well put it on here to save other people sitting in their cars setting the alarm off over and over looking like they're trying to steal it!

My findings were;

Interior Sensor Button
This button works after the ignition has been switched off, and will work both before you have opened the drivers door, and also while the door is open.

One press on the keyfob lock button after pressing this will leave your car locked, dead locked and also alarmed for any door / boot / bonnet openings, but with all interior movement sensors DISABLED.

Two presses on the keyfob lock button after pressing this will leave your car locked + alarmed only for door / boot / bonnet openings (see scenario 2 underneath)
(N.B. The little red LED on the button did not light up at any point on my car, I am presuming my LED doesnt work, and is supposed to light up in some fashion when doing this)

Once the car is locked + alarmed (with disabled sensors), if the keyfob lock button is pushed again at any stage, the interior sensors are then re-activated (accompanied by the standard indicator flash when pressing the fob button)

Key Fob Lock Button
1) One press on the key fob lock button will lock, dead lock, and FULLY alarm your car - interior sensors, door / boot / bonnet openings.
In this scenario the indicators will blink once.

2) TWO presses (in short succession) on the key fob lock button will simply lock your car and enable the door / boot / bonnet alarm feature. It disables the dead locks and ALSO disables the interior motion sensors
In this scenario the indicators will blink twice, and on the second blink you can hear the deadlocks being disabled - Also, any following presses will alternate between this, and scenario 1, with no way of telling what state the car is currently in! (without counting!)

3) Two presses (with a gap longer than a couple of seconds inbetween) will simply flash the indicators again (incase you need confirmation that the car is locked).
This scenario will also give you two blinks on the indicators, and without listening for the deadlocks being disabled, it is impossible to tell the difference between this, and scenario number 2).

This is an important thing to note, as if you are like me and as you walk away from the car, suddenly question whether or not you locked it, and press lock again to make sure, if you press the button again too quickly, you may end up inadvertently disabling the deadlocks + interior sensors! And also, if you give your keys to someone who is used to double pressing to deadlock, they may end up leaving your car a little less secure than you'd want!

Another point to note, is that once the drivers door is shut and the car is able to be locked, any doors which remain open will also be locked whilst open. So don't worry if the doors are shut and you don't hear them being locked!
BUT, be careful not to throw your keys inside before doing so, as if you shut the door, you're screwed! (I'm sure everyone is already careful of leaving keys inside the car after getting used to the boot with its quest to annoy you by staying locked all the time!)

Also, the interior sensors do not activate until about 30 seconds after the car is locked (there is no way to tell when they are activated, as the LED in drivers door does not change pace)

Sorry if I've written way too much about this, but I wanted it to be as clear as possible exactly what does what, and I've never done a 'How To' or anything like this before!
Hope this clears up any confusion anyone has over what disables what, and hope someone finds it useful!

Cheers

Ben

Last edited:

number9dream

Does this apply to the key operation in the driver's door?

Hi, I have just lost the remote key and I'm left with the spare door key. I seem to be able to lock and activate the alarm ok (with an anticlockwise quarter turn) as suggested in the manual. However nothing i try seems to deactivate the alarm again when i try to open it. I turn the key clockwise and it unlocks (but the alarm activation light on the driver's door still flashes), but as soon as i get in the car it activates the alarm. Can anyone help?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Using the key in the door, you have a short time interval between unlocking the car and putting the key in the ignition lock (registering the immobiliser transponder with the car) before the alarm is set off.

The motion sensors are usually disabled by default, and need switching on with VCDS.

number9dream

Using the key in the door, you have a short time interval between unlocking the car and putting the key in the ignition lock (registering the immobiliser transponder with the car) before the alarm is set off.

The motion sensors are usually disabled by default, and need switching on with VCDS.

OK thanks for that response - so there is no way to disable this 30 second reuqirement for putting the key in the ignition?

timaaeee

Mar 26, 2009
I was struggling to open my leon mk1 with the spare key without setting the alarm off, however if you turn it left (locking it for a 2nd time) before opening you can disable the alarm - the led at the top of the door will stop flashing when the alarm has been disabled.

Jimmy3rown

Nov 28, 2013
Hampshire
Thanks Ben, if only I'd found your post sooner!

I've had some trouble understanding the alarm system on my '02 Leon Cupra, either I was being a bit dim or the manual is really vague... or perhaps both!

After reading about the double click feature on the fob, I assumed it meant ALL alarms would be disabled, but the doors would still be locked.
So after testing the alarm in a quiet car park, so I didn't annoy the neighbours, I think I now understand how the alarm/locking system works.

Double clicking the close button on the remote locks the doors, but the deadlocks and motion sensors are disabled. I thought the red pilot light on the door would stop flashing, but it doesn't. Thinking about this - this would be a bad feature because it would be a sign to thieves of what state/mode the car is in if the flashing light was off.

I left the window down while testing - after the double clicking the close button on the remote, the motion didn't register my arm in the car and I was able to open the doors with the interior handle, because the deadlocks were also disabled.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Thanks Ben, if only I'd found your post sooner!

I've had some trouble understanding the alarm system on my '02 Leon Cupra, either I was being a bit dim or the manual is really vague... or perhaps both!

After reading about the double click feature on the fob, I assumed it meant ALL alarms would be disabled, but the doors would still be locked.
So after testing the alarm in a quiet car park, so I didn't annoy the neighbours, I think I now understand how the alarm/locking system works.

Double clicking the close button on the remote locks the doors, but the deadlocks and motion sensors are disabled. I thought the red pilot light on the door would stop flashing, but it doesn't. Thinking about this - this would be a bad feature because it would be a sign to thieves of what state/mode the car is in if the flashing light was off.

I left the window down while testing - after the double clicking the close button on the remote, the motion didn't register my arm in the car and I was able to open the doors with the interior handle, because the deadlocks were also disabled.

No worries mate, glad it was of use :) Yeah it's not the easiest thing to find in the manual and its hardly self intuitive - The main reason I did the guide was that people tend to think two clicks arm the deadlocks where as it is infact the complete opposite!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.