Alarm chirp volume

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
I've recently changed my 64 plate Leon for a 19 plate, and I've noticed that the alarm chirp when locking and unlocking is very, very quiet on this car compared to the previous one. The alarm works perfectly well, and the siren sounds at full volume when the alarm is triggered, so it isn't the siren at fault. Does anyone know if the volume of the chirp can be increased with VCDS? It is activated in both VCDS and on the infotainment menu, it does work, but so quiet it isn't worth having switched on.
Many thanks

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Why do you need noise when locking/unlocking the car?

The indicators flash. On my FR the mirrors fold/unfold so I can see if the car is locked just by looking at it.

Reactions: Walone

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Why do you need noise when locking/unlocking the car?

The indicators flash. On my FR the mirrors fold/unfold so I can see if the car is locked just by looking at it.
Asking the question because I want the chirp switched on, at a volume that can be heard. Checking the car is locked at night from inside the house by just blipping the remote can't confirm by the indicators when the car isn't in sight, and the mirrors are not auto folding on mine either, whereas the louder chirp on my older Leon was easy to hear , and didn't need to physically see the car to confirm

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Understand your reason for wanting a louder chirp.

You couId just make it a habit to always lock the car after you get out. I do.
I do lock it every time. But there are occasions when I have to get something out of the car later, and whether or not that happens both cars get lock checked before I go to bed, and I'd rather do this by blipping the remote and hearing a confirmation than having to get wet going outside because I can't tell from inside the house

Reactions: tracktoy

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Can't find it at mo but I am sure there was some regulation issued about noise polution that restricted alarm arming/disarming chirps.
This is why most cars now do not have a chirp and those that do have a very quiet one.

Reactions: mty12345

andycupra

status subject to change
glad i don't live next door.
some countries don't allow arm/unarm chirps.
I can understand you wanting it louder, but if everyone thought the same it would become annoying. my current car had chirps and i turned them off, - you soon adapt.
If you did want to change then in the past different country settings can influence such things. For example i set my car (non-VAG) to netherlands iirc which means no chirps, but the alarm when it does off is louder. perhaps this means when there are alarm sounds people take more notice. meanwhile in the UK typically a car alarm does not lead to any meaningful reaction.

Reactions: mty12345

Dale_UK

May 4, 2018
I used Carly Obd program to switch my Ibiza 2015 beep on/off and there was an option to use alarm or horn. Maybe you could change it to horn and that maybe louder, or there might be a volume option for newer cars.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
on my MK1, you could also change the alarm sound, for example i could set it to Asia and the alarm sound was different, - useful to have it different as if you heard it you knew if was your car alarm.
Yes, I know you can change alarm types, but it's the volume of the confirmation chirp when locking and unlocking that I want to increase

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.