Alhambra enhancements

Alhambraguy

Jul 23, 2011
Thanks for that MJ im sure you know what you are talking about!!!!!

think mine is the asz engine so the alternator pulley is the first port of call,,

a quick scan on vcds showed up an aux heater fault which i have now cleared so il have to keep an eye on that!!!

shame i cant make adjustments to my car like the old one....was looking forward to that

Thanks

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
yeah i dare say it was a "repeated start without flame" fault - disconnect it as you'll never use it.

you can however get them remapped very easily to achieve a nice extra 30+ bhp.

Alhambraguy

Jul 23, 2011
the fault was as follows

5 Faults Found:
01492 - Function Lock-Out
35-00 - -
01409 - Repeated Flame-Out
35-00 - -
01413 - Dosing/Metering Pump (V54)
29-00 - Short to Ground
29-00 - Short to Ground
29-00 - Short to Ground

i take it the aux heater isnt really needed then in winter is that correct???

how much is a 30bhp remap??????

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
not needed at all really, my dad went for 3 years without his.

a remap even from a premium company such as revo, rs tuning, p-torque, jabba, awesome, amd shouldnt cost you more than £400.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
B. a 54 reg alhambra with the AUY or ASZ engine WILL 100% have a one way clutch pully, if it doesnt spin either way with a screwdriver in it then its funked.

If they're foobarred they tend to spin both ways and the tensioner bounces about like a man possessed, I really 100% don't think he has a clutched pulley bud. If it doesn't move in either direction when the fan is held tight then it's a solid job I reckon. It doesn't seem to matter what year it is, it's like they just stick on whatever's lying about at the factory and also seats tend to be a few years behind the VW equivalent.:)

Also alhambraguy, check out the tdiclub forums for tdi tuning, there's shed loads of it going on over there and you get to know folk who can do maps for a lot less money.

Last edited:

Alhambraguy

Jul 23, 2011
lets not argue,, il have it replaced shortly and all will be revealed,, it will be either the pulley or tensioner,, but wont find out until it gets taken off!!!!

if i can live without the aux heater im sure i will,, never had one so dont think i will miss it,, but it does intreage me the option of being able to pre heat my car for when i am working night shift

my car does not have the programmer for the aux heater,, if i chose could i fit one to it??

where are they located on a bammy??

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I'll find the info later, there's a tiny difference between the two pulleys when sat next to each other.

As for arguing, not at all, I like discussing stuff with MJ, it keeps your mind up to date with the vag tdi stuff. Like this pulley, MJ reckons it shouild be clutched and I'm not so sure so at some point tonight I'll go and find out so in the future I'll know for sure.:)

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
the clutch pully is designed to spin one way when you stick a screwdriver between the blades and works in such a way that when the engine is turned off, the backward motion doesnt try to undo things suck as the crank pully which it runs off.

If you stick a screwdriver in the blades and the pully locks both ways then its finished.

The mk2 2 alhambras were fitted with pd engines - all of which from the 1000s of pds i've seen all have free-wheeling one-way pulleys.

You'll notice the first signs on the alhambra of a horrible screech when on full lock.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
it will be either the pulley or tensioner

my car does not have the programmer for the aux heater,, if i chose could i fit one to it??

where are they located on a bammy??

Many people replace the tensioner first only to find the noise still remains.

the secondary heater is designed to be used when the car is occupied, stationary and have the engine off to keep the heaters warm - there was a section in the original sales brochure about it, that and the 180 degree rotating front seats some have so you can use the car like an office or picnic table.

Alhambraguy

Jul 23, 2011
thats where i am

and also a slight squeel on tick over!!!!!!

gets worse when you move the wheel

my money is on the pulley but only because its a cheaper part to replace,,,lol

BUT is it false economy to not replace both parts at the same time

car has 94,000 miles so is one about to die now the other is on the way out????

or am i OK to just replace the fault now and revisit it again in 5k 10 ,,, maybe 20k miles???

on the heater front i dont plan on having any in car conferences which would require the engine to be off!!!! lol

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
from experience its very rare for the tensioners to go.

the pulley casues issues that would appear to be the tensioner but we've had them do very serious things suck as:

shear the tensioner clean off the block
collapse the alternator bearings
lock the engine

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I already said, get yourself on the tdiclub site and get to know some people then ask about remapping etc, you find who has the gadget for loading the software or send them your ecu and they can either send you a map by email or load the tune for you.:)

tdi galore:D

http://forums.tdiclub.com/

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.