Alhambra vs Sharan 2017/2018 And things to look out for

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
After many years away from the forum (aside from my amazement at remembering my password) due to a growing family I’m looking to replace our BMW with either a Sharan, an Alhambra or a Transporter.

Having read the reviews most recommend the Alhambra over the Sharon and looked at used vehicles based on the standard kit I can see why. Aside from a few cosmetics what are the differences? Years ago when I had a mk2 Leon and a relative had a Mk5 Golf; the Golf was a nicer place to be due to better plastics and felt lined door bins. Are these still the main differences between the brands?

I’m looking at either SEL or Xcelkence Trim. How much real world difference is there between the 150 and 184 diesels?

stevie-p

Registered VCDS User
Feb 10, 2018
Doncaster
I had the same dilemma when I bought my Alhambra in Jan 18. I have had VW's for years and wanted a Sharan but when I compared the specs between a Sharan SEL and a Alhambra SE Lux I was amazed at the Seat's value for money. I did have a couple of test drives in both and other than the badges there is no difference. Interior plastics look and feel the same. They drive, turn and stop the same, if anything the Alhambra was a bit more comfortable as the front seats have more adjustment. There are still differences between the brands across their respective ranges but the Sharan and Alhambra's just appear to be a badge swap with more spec for your money in the Seat.

I personally would recommend the more powerful diesel engine, as mine is a 2013 it has the 140 tdi unit and the only thing is with a car this big and heavy the extra torque of the more powerful tdi lump would have been better (remap on the cards for me) especially when fully loaded or towing.

Bi xenon lights are very good if you can find a car with them as they were an extra on all models (someone correct me if I am wrong please). If you do any towing the Seat fold away tow bar is good as well. Self park has come in handy a few times but the reverse camera (which i think is standard on the spec of Alhambra you are looking at) has been a great help when parking.

Monks Seat

Mar 23, 2009
Birmingham
We have a 67 plate SE Lux 184 DSG 7 seater, had it 15 months now, very impressed with it, we brought to accommodate a growing family and to tow our caravan, you don’t even realise you have the caravan on the back! The car it self is plenty quick enough! It will outpace most things and that’s saying something for a big car! We looked at the Sharan but we found the interior look fuddy Duddy like its for older people especially the fake wood trim on the dash? Where as the Alhambra has a carbon fibre print. We’re very happy with ours! Principly there both the same car! Full leather is a must have tho! Especially if you have kids! Can’t imagine jam and alcantara mixing well!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.