All front lights (roughly) the same colour at last!

^^^^^^^ I had the same with my FR's "canbus friendly" LED sidelights. The PCB was quite discoloured when I swapped them out for some others. I read somewhere that the proximity of the H1 full beam bulb doesn't help as it slowly cooks the SMD components. :(

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
^^^^^^^ I had the same with my FR's "canbus friendly" LED sidelights. The PCB was quite discoloured when I swapped them out for some others. I read somewhere that the proximity of the H1 full beam bulb doesn't help as it slowly cooks the SMD components. :(

Yes mine were both yellow looking, I swapped them over (drivers side-passengers side) and the fault moved with the LED. I also fitted them into a new shape Astra and the astra threw a bulb failure warning too. I don't know about the H1 bulb being close and cooking but I think the Surface mounted resistors must get hot (all resistors do) and there is no heat sink.

I have fitted plug n play resistors (for warranty reasons) with heat sinks and all is good so far.

zamzia

Gixer 750 K8
Dec 6, 2010
Newmarket
Sure this is a stupid question, but I will ask anyway! Are the DRL's just on the newer Leons? Mine is a 2007 FR TDI.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Yes just on the facelift ones. Although I have read about people with Vag-Com enabling fog lights as DRL's on the pre facelift and even adjusting the brightness of them. Personally I'll give it a miss though.

zamzia

Gixer 750 K8
Dec 6, 2010
Newmarket
Yes just on the facelift ones. Although I have read about people with Vag-Com enabling fog lights as DRL's on the pre facelift and even adjusting the brightness of them. Personally I'll give it a miss though.

Arh, ok thanks! Yes, fog lights are fog lights and it annoys the s&*t out of me being blinded by them when visibility is good.

Sep 5, 2009
Midlands

I'm on my second set, the led sidelights seem to get hot and the solder isn't resistant to heat so you can see the flux/residue on the circuit board, I'm onto a supplier who's got better made ones when I hear back I'll post them up.

johnmack

These lights are too good and side light and fog light are awesome can you please tell where Can i find these lights.

These lights are too good and side light and fog light are awesome can you please tell where Can i find these lights.
Assuming you're talking about my lights in the first post... these are the lights I used:

Sidelights

Philips Vision LED W5W/T10 4000K
(You'll also need a plug and play resistor kit to cancel any bulb failure warnings.)

Foglights

MTEC Cosmos Blue-White 4750K HB4/9006

The DRL LEDs are slightly harder to source: if you want those do a search on fleabay, dhgate or alibaba or whatever for "white LED 382" or "white LED 1156" and you should find something hopefully. :)

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
If anyone is still having trouble sourcing some white canbus-compatible LED replacements for their facelift DRLs (382/1156 bulb type), I just found these:

http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/Canbus white 27 SMD LED BA15s 1156 382 bulbs

They look similar to the ones that I have, but these new ones also have 3 SMDs pointing forwards as well as those mounted on the double-sided crossed PCBs. Might be worth a shot?

Sweet :D

You are a legend...:clap:

**UPDATE**

Just order a pair so hopefully they will arrive some time next week. Will post review/pics when installed

Last edited:

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
Sorry for the delay in giving an update on these DRLs that I ordered

Thanks to Gainful :D, I have been able to order (finally) some DRL that are white and look good!

I can confirm that these work 100% so now the true test is to see if they last longer than the MTEC ones I had.

4151e651.jpg

90c4b39e.jpg

309935d3.jpg

e492696f.jpg

They may look a little blue in the pictures but this is down to the iphone camera. In the flesh, they are a nice white! Really happy with them

The down side of fitting them was that my left sidelight kept shorting out. I could hear it when turning the ignition on. On closer insecption, the philips blue vision had come out of the resistor kit. Manged to get it to stay in though after a lot of fiddling. May consider changing them at some point...

Last edited:

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
They look good imho. Nice to know there's an alternative to the ones I bought (that seem rather hard to come by recently)... :)

Cheers. There is something a miss with the front passenger side wiring tho. This morning with lights set to auto, switched on and got a bulb warning for passenger side DRL. When I got to work switched auto off to force DRLs on and both worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
How you getting on with these? Looking to order some, the yellow colour DRL does let it down a little.

Hey. I really like these and look so much better than the OEM bulbs. Was hard finding some for some reason so happy these work ok. I think my car rejected them when it was really cold on a morning but that issue has gone since the weather got better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad Nation

Hi

I just tried the link given and they are now out of stock. Everywhere else I looked was in the US of A!

Anyone know of any other UK suppliers?

Thanks

Sad Nation

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.