Altea Freetrak (was:Seat have something up their sleeve for Geneva)

warren_cox

Back from the dead
To many wasted opportunities, I'm so gutted for SEAT as I really worry about their future if they go down the SUV route.

Yes please :yes:

seat_cupra_gt.jpg

seat-tango-front-300-198.jpg

seat_salsa.jpg

seat_formula_1999_01_s.jpg

No way, Kiss my rosy red one.....

seat_salsa_emocion_2000_01_s.jpg

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
To many wasted opportunities, I'm so gutted for SEAT as I really worry about their future if they go down the SUV route.

seat_cupra_gt.jpg

seat-tango-front-300-198.jpg

seat_salsa.jpg

seat_formula_1999_01_s.jpg

Couldn't agree more Warren.

I was thinking about this today, bear with me:

Where is SEAT's future? Is there one for the brand? To start with, I'll keep my points to the VAG group.

Skoda:
Have a range of 4 well made, independently individual models; all aimed at the sensible/discreet buyer. The models range from a warm hatch, to mid and large saloons and the mpv/practical Roomster. They are reasonably priced and well rated by those who own them, thus good sales.

Audi:
Now have well and truly pushed their brand upmarket with a model range so large covering everything from roadsters to 4x4's, saloons and hatchbacks (all with hot versions) to a 'supercar' coupe. Each model (like with Skoda) is individual but retains the brands key design cues. The build quality is good and market share on the up.

VW:
Cover everything from the cheap supermini (Fox) to the executive Phaeton, once again, each model being distinctively different but still 'VW'. Have hot versions of various models in the range. Have shown interesting concepts likely to make production. So many models, so much choice.

The above brands offer something for most people. Small cars, large cars, sports cars, hot hatches, SUV's, people carriers etc etc.

SEAT:
Once supposed to be the 'sporting brand' of the VAG group, before that, considered to be the 'value' brand amongst the group. Previously had a decent model line up for various tastes including saloons, hatchbacks, a supermini and a people carrier. Most of which were available in 'beefed up' sportier variants. Arosa, Cordoba, Cordoba Vario, Ibiza, Leon, Toledo and Alhambra. Today, the Alhambra can effectively be forgotten as it's so out of date, the MK4 based Cordoba was a design disaster and has been dropped, the Arosa supermini has gone.. leaving SEAT with IMO a model line-up of 2 cars.

Ibiza (now getting on a bit)
Leon MK2.

Yes, you may say what about the Altea, the Altea XL, the Toledo and the Freetrak concept thingybobwotsit.. but let's be honest, they're all basically the same car. Yes the Leon came to this fold pretty late, but the other models are all variations on the Leon theme, all on the same platform, all with similar interiors, all with the same exterior appearances. Where's the saloon? Where's the supermini? No wonder the Ibiza and Leon are SEAT's key models - they're the only ones!

For a sporting brand, where's the rival for the Grande Punto, the VXR Corsa, the Clio 192? What about rivals for the Vauxhall VX220 and Monaro? Alfa's Brera, Mazdas RX8? What about the hot saloons on offer by Ford and VX.. where's SEAT's equivilent? There's no roadster, no coupe, no .. er ok, you get the idea.

If not a sporting brand, why do touring car racing? It's not going to win you many customers if there's no sporty models on offer to suit various tastes. What is SEAT? Still a value brand? Not likely given how much most of the range costs and given there's no small offering.

Given the choice, what is there to make the average joe on the street buy a SEAT over something from Ford, Vauxhall, Renault, Alfa (wasn't SEAT aiming to be the Spanish Alfa at one point?), Fiat or any of the other brands in the VAG group?

Answer: No.

Last edited:

Stu B

DarthWombleIII & WombleII
Nice one Ian, I'm not going to quote it, its tooooooo long.. But yeah you have hit the mark I think... Where is SEAT - is it now sitting under Skoda, dont take me wrong I have owned more skoda's than SEAT's ... So I am quiet happy with Skoda.. BUT.... I have to say I thought SEAT was meant to be the sport side of VAG... Dont see it some how... very watered down ... No real VRX models accross the range.. Vauxhall even have a VRX Mervia !!!! Do we have an ALTEA Cupra Nope!!! Do we have a Toldeo Cupra Nope (some would say thank you...) but you follow the thoughts here... BTTC champs yeah... on the Leon, but thats it ... the Ibiza is ready for a full blown refit... If the next gen. Alhambra is to follow the next gen. VW Sharon, forget it...

So Mr. SEAT where are we in the VAG family.....

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I pretty much agree with driveforward. Is it due to a lack of investment that they're taking short cuts and trying to pass off the Leon/Altea/Altea XL/Toledo/Freetrak as different cars? There's case enough for a Leon with more room (the Altea), but logically you then offer a sporty small car (Ibiza) and then have a family sized saloon (absent - no one believes the current Toledo fits that bill) and perhaps offer an MPV (what's the bets if they come out with an Alhambra replacement that its a swollen XL?). I don't think Seat need to go to a large Superb size saloon but I would like a sporty and distinctive alternative to the Mondeo/Vectra market that doesn't have to compete with the more costly Audi.

There is a gap in the marketplace for a family sized saloon (or even a 5 door in saloon style) that doesn't cost the earth but has decent performance, sporty looks and a sporty feel. Mazda started doing much better with the 6 when it cottoned on to the fact that the 30-50 age bracket want something somewhat like this without it being a repmobile clone. That's what Seat used to be about. They say they are going to address this, but churning out lazy derivatives of one or two models is going to lose them some customers.

INSIDER

DYSLEXICS UNTIE!
Oct 17, 2006
i was at mk on weds and the were talking about the "freetrack" being in production later this year and the new ibiza being released very late this year or early 08. our dp was told yesterday that he has to go to barcelona for an announcement on the 28th march

wilksy

tfsi
Aug 13, 2005
oxford
a bit late jumping on to this!
yep expecting a freetrak later this year and the all new ibiza early 08 to be followed by 4 door saloon to be known as the bolero now here are som links to pics of the upcoming vehicles, i doubt the pic of the bolero is what we are expecting as i've seen a tag saying 1998 indicating 1998 concept car.
also you will see two versions of the ibiza and a multi pic which looks like a new arosa or seats version of the fox which i haven't read anything about.
http://autoreview.ru/new_site/year2001/n01/news/p600/SeatBolero4.jpg
http://www.museoseat.com/prototipos/bolero/bolero fotos1/g- bolero 013.jpg
http://www.motorpasion.com/images/seat_ibiza_2008-01.jpg
http://www.diariomotor.com/imagenes/ibiza2008_2.jpg
http://faimg1.forum-auto.com/mesimages/131754/seat minipmpv.jpg

i've also read that the leon cc is know 2009 after the influx of new models!

Last edited:

dlm2310

Rocco Is God !!
Dec 17, 2006
West Yorkshire
I'm afraid I Have to disagree with the point made that an Altea is a variation of the Leon.

If you look at the new Leon (that came to market after the Altea) it is quite obvious is it a squashed version with the front exterior remarkably similar.

SEAT had an opportunity to give the Leon a totally fresh look but instead chose to model it on an Altea !!

Wrong that Ibiza and Leon are the only cars. Where do you think a family who like the SEAT brand / image would go when they have a couple of kids but find the Ibiza & Leon are too small, Altea of course.

The mistake SEAT made was a) modelling the new Leon on an Altea and b) bringing the Altea to market and then an XL version a couple of years later. I think this is an admission from SEAT that they made the boot space on the Altea a bit too small and should have started with the XL in the first place.

wilksy

tfsi
Aug 13, 2005
oxford
thats right they screwed it all up! what should have taken place is leon first then the altea maybe a bit bigger than we have and no xl,
then we should have had a toledo or as i've heard a bolero to be launched sometime next year , this to compete against the likes of a 3 series or something, running the a6 platform which i think would have given seat a lot more interest having broadened their horizon.and then obviously had an estate version!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
am i missing something ?

the start page lists Altea Freetrack Prototype?

an watching the stand unfold its the only thing listed thats isnt under cover - ?

Last edited:

Leonidas

It could be the colour that's puttin us off. Try and imagin what it looks like in black or dark metallic Gray or even white,and it could look allrite. I'm goin to wait till then till I judge it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.