alternator whine?

Mckellar

The ibiza doesnt get used as a daily driver, so it can sit unused for 3-5 days at a time as i dont need to use it for work (social only)

Turned the car over today and there is a whine coming from what i think could be an alternator bearing.

Best way to describe it would be a hamster in a wheel...:think:

I took it out a 20 mile drive and it went away, this is the 2nd time its happened and only happened on tick over.

Anyone any ideas? thanks.

Mckellar

your very good at giving advice i must say

im joking by the way.

Mckellar

yeah but it went away, and the advice i got last time wasnt what it was..just seeing if anyone who never saw the topic before maybe see it now mate.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
do they have idler pulleys or tensioners.. they would squeak..other wise id change the belts £5 a piece might as well.. then if youve still go noise and it might be the alternator get a screw driver flat head and put it on the alternator, put your ear to the other end. it will be obvious if it is the alternator

Mckellar

cheers mate, is the waterpump relatively easy to replace by yourself.

Semi mechanical - ie: can follow instructions

davenlucy

my p reg beezer was squeaking.just fixed the problem recently.turned out to be the tensioner pully and the power steering pump.best way to find out is get a can of wd40 with the straw on it and spray behind the pully,s.that way you know which is making the noise.