am i mad wanting to sell my fr550

smilley792

May 1, 2008
dont get me wrong, i love the car to pieces 90% of the time, i just cant cope with the dpf.

know i drive to work and back, a 5min journey, 4times a day, hardly do any motorway mileage, so i was expecting the dpf to come on every know and again.
but it comes on every 70 miles, the car has only doen 800 miles in 4weeks since i bought it, and i've had to take 10 extra journeys to get the regenaration going.
it has been to seat to check if all sensors are present and working correctly, and its come back saying they are.

know the main reason for picking a fr, over a cupra was fuel costs, as the diesel does more miles, which is true, but if i didnt have to do the extra regeneration miles, i would have actually saved money buying a cupra(thats going on book mpg figures, and the miles i've done, i may have used more in a cupra, if i was having as much fun as people say they are)

i am honestly thinking off selling, and making a loss, just to avoid the hassle of this twice a week. i'm a mad in the head.

but i'll tell you this, i will never, ever buy a car with a dpf attached again, surely a big company like vag, could have come up with a less time consuming method of cleaning the gases, as i've noticed no other manufacturer has this probalem.

what to do? what to do?

Luvs me Cupra

A 5 minute journey to work? Then why use a car, surely that is a walkable distance? Saves the hassles your having with your car as well. [B)]

smilley792

May 1, 2008
i was told buy quite alot of companies, and people on here, that there wasnt anything able to delete the dpf without killing the ecu, on the market yet, itherwise i would have bought one ages ago.

got any links and i'll buy one tomorrow

smilley792

May 1, 2008
A 5 minute journey to work? Then why use a car, surely that is a walkable distance? Saves the hassles your having with your car as well. [B)]

a five min journey in the car, is a 35min journey walking(i've walked it many time before0, but i go home on my dinner, which is only half an hour, would never get there and back in time, and i like to drive.

why buy a car a have to leave at home, walkings thats more hassle than its worth

Mogster

Apr 2, 2008
With that little milage why buy a diesel in the first place? Petrol may still work out dearer but not by lots.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
the car has only doen 800 miles in 4weeks since i bought it, and i've had to take 10 extra journeys to get the regenaration going.

but i'll tell you this, i will never, ever buy a car with a dpf attached again, surely a big company like vag, could have come up with a less time consuming method of cleaning the gases, as i've noticed no other manufacturer has this probalem.

in fairness to the manufacturers, they design diesels for people who do nearer 800 miles a week, not a month.

my opinion; trade up to a cupra, you wont loose too much and i doubt youd regret it. for a second. even when filling it up.

DaveI

Oct 5, 2007
No need for a diesel driving such a short distance, it may work out more expensive to run than a petrol factoring in maintenance and higher purchase price.

Chop it in for a petrol FR or Cupra.

I've done nearly 18k over 10 months, what's a DPF light? :)

smilley792

May 1, 2008
all my life i had petrol cars, but recently bought a audi a4 tdi, as it was offered to me cheap, i instantly noticed that what iwas putting in in diesel, was lastinfg me 3times what i was putting in in petrol before, hence why i wanted another diesel, if it wasnt for regenerating the dpf, i would still be saving loads, over what i used to use in petrol, even in with the stupid price of diesel today.
so to me the dpf is costing me money. i am know wishing i had bought the honda civic diesel, i was contemplating instead, i would be saving money, i wouldnt be stressing about a dpf, and i would be able to use the car for what i wanted to use it for.

been on there dude, it gives no information, other than it removes the dpf, and then a link to its stockists, off which non off the links(i've been through them all) even mention it, never mind giving me the information, on sensor bypass, ecu, and prices.

cheers anyway, but the search goes on

Last edited:

Maximus2000uk

Thanks for that. I know how the search function works but if there is an easy answer to my question, that does not involve me trawling through 11 pages of bumpf, then perhaps that would be of more use.

smilley792

May 1, 2008
dpf, diesel particulate filter.#

basically a more complicated cat, it catches particles, then when it gets to a high temperature, say 2000rpm for 15mins, it burns them off, if it doesnt then it clogs and the car dies

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
I am sure I read somewhere that DPFs aren't a legal requirement on new cars yet but legislation is about to come in to thaat effect? I may have been dreaming/drinking/making stuff up.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
been on there dude, it gives no information, other than it removes the dpf, and then a link to its stockists, off which non off the links(i've been through them all) even mention it, never mind giving me the information, on sensor bypass, ecu, and prices.

cheers anyway, but the search goes on

Why don't you try calling them and asking them about it instead of being so dismissive about it mate? They were designing this at the same time they designed the turbo back milltek for the cupra on my car and from what they said it worked perfectly and with good performance gains available after the dpf has been shitcanned.

smilley792

May 1, 2008
who dismissed it, there not open at the moment so the search goes onto see if i can find anything know,

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members